Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Well, I'll be damned....
pnutbutrsangwich 08:18 PM 07-22-2010
I've been an "NC" hater for quite some time now so when I heard another habanophile who has been smoking for over 20 years talk up the Illusione Epernay series, my skepticism turned to intrigue. I've heard the "it tastes like a Cuban... really!" claims more times than I care to count but I've always found these claims to be total rubbish. Since the shop across the street from my office carries these, I figured I'd do a little experiment.

I grabbed the "Le Grande" vitola and sat down for a smoke the other day. Through the first half inch, confirmation bias was strong... it was a bit harsh and nearly un-nose-smokable. I thought that I had wasted $11.50 (thanks, Mayor Mike!) However things changed about an inch in... after that it developed a magnificent smoothness... no harshness or bitterness. Just a sweet, nutty, creamy, and spicy smoke that combined elements of an SLR Serie A and an Upmann Mag50! There were many times when the smoke fell a bit flat, but I think that storage in the tobacconist's walk in (likely a bit too wet for my tastes) held it back a bit. I was shocked, but it was a great smoke.

If you're doubtful that an NC can be enjoyable in the least, these will likely prove you quite wrong. It was incredibly refreshing to find a cigar that I can enjoy when a client or coworker wants to grab something on the fly. Amazing!
[Reply]
Chingas 08:22 PM 07-22-2010
Nice review brother. Glad to hear the NC's aren't dead to you anymore!
[Reply]
DBall 08:45 PM 07-22-2010
Wow. Tom... I'll need to find one of these and try it.
[Reply]
dubnick 08:48 PM 07-22-2010
I like these a lot!!! :-)

Glad you enjoyed it.
[Reply]
Jbailey 08:49 PM 07-22-2010
One of my NC favs is the cabaiguan corona extra.

Glad you found another cigar you enjoyed Tom.
[Reply]
yourchoice 08:56 PM 07-22-2010
Originally Posted by DBall:
Wow. Tom... I'll need to find one of these and try it.
:-) Coming from you Tom, I think I will need to seek one out too. :-)
[Reply]
RustyShackleford 09:04 PM 07-22-2010
This is one of my all time favorite smokes, a great example of flavor over power. I have found with my limited experience with CC of this flavor over power blending style to be the case. I am growing to like this style very quickly.

I have found that sometime at 65% is a benefit to this smoke.

If you liked this you might want to give the la riqueza a try. It has a different flavor profile but to me it is blended to be another flavor over power cigar.
[Reply]
JJG 09:31 PM 07-22-2010
I've had the exact same experience with the Illusione Epernay line. I find them to be uniquely complex and flavorful once the initial harshness fades. I'm primarily a CC smoker as well, but the Illusiones have won a spot on the very short list of NCs I buy regularly.

I'd stop short of saying these tastes Cuban, but that doesn't mean they aren't equally as enjoyable and satisfying.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:44 PM 07-22-2010
Thanks for the review!
[Reply]
wayner123 07:06 AM 07-23-2010
Two things immediately come to mind after reading your post.

1) $11.50 compared to a SLR A or Mag 50 at even UK prices is still high

2) I am glad you gave NC's another chance, and wish that many more hardcore CC only smokers would do so.
[Reply]
JJG 07:42 AM 07-23-2010
Even if you prefer Cubans, I think it's still benficial to smoke some NCs occasionally.

CCs may be the smoothest and most complex cigars available, but I've found there is a large range of unique flavors present in many top quality NCs that you don't get in Havanas.
[Reply]
JohnE1000 09:23 AM 07-23-2010
Illusione and Cruzado are some of the best non cuban cigars made. Construction, draw, consistency, and their own unique flavor. The are even better than some Cubans.
[Reply]
Mr B 10:08 AM 07-23-2010
Nice to hear you enjoyed it. The Epernays (especially the smaller R.G.s) are one of my favoirtes.
Try getting hold of an El Centurian. I think you will feel the same way.
[Reply]
srduggins 11:12 AM 07-23-2010
These are also one of my favorite smokes. I smoked one at So Cal XI, one of the few NCs smoked there. Definitely try the regular Cabaiguan line as well (not the maduros or Guapos) - I like the Guapos, just not sure I would recommend it to an NC hater. And I'll second the El Centurians. Who knows, somebody might actually fall UP the dark slope.
[Reply]
Up