Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Sports>NASCAR 2011 Thread
Starscream 04:25 PM 02-20-2011
Congrats to Trevor Bayne and the Wood Brothers for winning the Daytona 500. Youngest Daytona 500 winner in history and the first for the Wood bros. since their 1976 win with David Pearson.
[Reply]
elderboy02 06:05 PM 02-20-2011
That was totally awesome! It is so exciting to see a 20 year old kid win.
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:49 PM 02-20-2011
That was a great ending to the race.
[Reply]
JDTexan 05:22 AM 02-21-2011
Yesterdays Daytona was the best racing I have seen in years.
[Reply]
Starscream 07:22 AM 02-21-2011
I wish Jr. wasn't taken out, but it is what it is. I'll settle for the Wood Bros in Victory lane instead of the 88. That would have been a helluva story, having him win it on the 10yr anniversary of Sr.'s death.
[Reply]
innova 08:03 AM 02-21-2011
Not a huge NASCAR fan, but enjoyed the race yesterday. Would like to know if someone could break down the "new style" for the rest of us, and what your take on it might be.
[Reply]
Starscream 08:50 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by innova:
Not a huge NASCAR fan, but enjoyed the race yesterday. Would like to know if someone could break down the "new style" for the rest of us, and what your take on it might be.
I'm no expert, but the "new style" is a two car draft that is much faster than the traditional multi-car draft which allows two cars to pull away quickly from the pack. The two cars can also pull the old slingshot move that was typical superspeedway racing in the 70s and 80s. Also, to go along with this two car draft, drivers were allowed to have access and communication with other drivers with different owners in order to effectively pair up and help each other.
[Reply]
innova 08:51 AM 02-21-2011
That was a really cool dynamic it added (the negotiating between drivers). Is this 2-car draft specific to the restrictor plate raceways? Who developed it?
[Reply]
HK3- 08:54 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by Starscream:
I'm no expert, but the "new style" is a two car draft that is much faster than the traditional multi-car draft which allows two cars to pull away quickly from the pack. The two cars can also pull the old slingshot move that was typical superspeedway racing in the 70s and 80s. Also, to go along with this two car draft, drivers were allowed to have access and communication with other drivers with different owners in order to effectively pair up and help each other.
Exactly. This "new style" was only able to happen because the track was new. No bumps makes this fresh track easy to draft on.

Awesome race! My DVR stopped recording for the last 13 laps because of all the caution flags... Wish I would have seen the final passes and crashes!
[Reply]
OLS 08:55 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by Starscream:
I wish Jr. wasn't taken out, but it is what it is. I'll settle for the Wood Bros in Victory lane instead of the 88. That would have been a helluva story, having him win it on the 10yr anniversary of Sr.'s death.
But after all, he won it the year after, which was probably more special.
[Reply]
innova 08:55 AM 02-21-2011
Thanks for the insight, interesting stuff.
[Reply]
elderboy02 08:56 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
But after all, he won it the year after, which was probably more special.
Very true. :-)

RIP Dale
[Reply]
OLS 08:59 AM 02-21-2011
Two things...I stopped watching after the burnout, so please tell me he gave ample credit to Bobby Labonte.
He would have gotten chewed up on the last lap without Labonte, and the way things went in half a lap, COULD
have finished outside the top ten because of it. Fine pairing there.

Second, I was in this morning and the guy that sits behind me said "Trevor Bayne, I never heard of him before",
and Shane said, you should have, he crossed your scales the last time we were in Tunica." I thought that was
funny, but certainly plausible. We run the World's Largest Indoor Kart race here at JAM Promotions, and we were last
in Tunica I think in 2007?? SO quite a fast rise for him, karts to victory lane in the world's most famous racing venue
in less than 5 years.
[Reply]
Starscream 10:45 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by innova:
That was a really cool dynamic it added (the negotiating between drivers). Is this 2-car draft specific to the restrictor plate raceways? Who developed it?
I don't think it was developed. It was just a result of the new pavement and the way this year's cars handle on that track. And yes, it's pretty much limited to Superspeedways (possibly only at Daytona). I'm not even sure if it'll happen at Talladega.
[Reply]
Starscream 10:47 AM 02-21-2011
Originally Posted by OLS:
Two things...I stopped watching after the burnout, so please tell me he gave ample credit to Bobby Labonte.
He would have gotten chewed up on the last lap without Labonte, and the way things went in half a lap, COULD
have finished outside the top ten because of it. Fine pairing there.

Second, I was in this morning and the guy that sits behind me said "Trevor Bayne, I never heard of him before",
and Shane said, you should have, he crossed your scales the last time we were in Tunica." I thought that was
funny, but certainly plausible. We run the World's Largest Indoor Kart race here at JAM Promotions, and we were last
in Tunica I think in 2007?? SO quite a fast rise for him, karts to victory lane in the world's most famous racing venue
in less than 5 years.
He may have mentioned Bobby, but I don't remember it. I think he was more in shock than anything. He kept believing that it was only a dream.:-) The main credit I remember him giving was to the Wood Brothers and justly deserved.
[Reply]
JaKaacH 06:03 PM 02-21-2011
Happy Birthday NASCAR..63 yrs old.

Just heard this on the news
[Reply]
larryinlc 08:34 PM 02-21-2011
I don't know which makes me happier, young Trevor Bayne winning the biggest race of the year or the Wood Brothers finally ending the drought of losing. Either way, it was a great day for both and wonderful for the NASCAR. I understand the Wood family is about the nicest bunch of people in the sport.

Larry
[Reply]
Up