Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Sports>Tennessee Titans and Fisher Divorce
jcruse64 06:48 PM 01-27-2011
Okay, gotta say I didn't see this one coming, after they agreed to play out the last season of his contract, AND Bud agreeing to pull the plug on VY. Interesting though, with 2 coaches leaving for other jobs, and then Fish firing his buddy, after getting him a contract near the end of the season. Didn't really care for Cecil.

But...I had hoped that Bud and Fish would call it quits back in December. I appreciate the 17 years of tenure, and the stability, as well as the good years for the Titans. But the last 5 or 6 seasons...mehhh. 13-3 season gets us a playoff loss. I'd forgotten how long it HAS been since the Titans had a playoff win. The lion's share of playoff wins came in the Superbowl season of '99, saved by the Music City Miracle.

I was getting tired of "dink'n'dunk" offense, relying on a passing offense that centered on tight ends (most of which, since Wychek, had poor hands), and playing a style of ball that was okay with just getting field goals most of the time, and then hanging on for the win in the 2nd half.

It's been time for a change for a while. I wish Fish all the best. I'm just ready for new leadership (including Bud retiring, if we're lucky).

But, why now!!!!!!! Lot's of names that were available a month ago are not around now. I'm not sure who I'd like to see in here. Not Mangini. Not really Cowher or Billick either. Maybe Gruden. I beg him not to call Kiffin!!!!!!!
[Reply]
shilala 06:50 PM 01-27-2011
Billick would be a good fit for that club, and Cowher isn't going anywhere.
Maybe I should say Cowher isn't going anywhere unless he can take everyone he wants with him. That's gonna be a tough sell, and I don't think he's all that motivated to coach.
[Reply]
jcruse64 07:07 PM 01-27-2011
I don't know; it's just that he was the leader of our mortal enemy for so long, it would seem weird to see him on the Titan sideline :-).

I actually felt bad for the way Billick got hung out to dry by RayRay, considering how Billick stood by RayRay when his high-profile legal troubles hit.

Whoever takes the job sure won't have to do a lot of housecleaning...if 'Dinger's health does not come back, most of the main assistant coach positions will be vacant. That, and if Bud stands behind his earlier decision to let VY go, we need some QB fill-in (PLEASE tell me Kerry will not be back!!!).

It's going to be interesting to hear what actually happened to precipitate this.
[Reply]
chand 07:24 PM 01-27-2011
I was sure they were staying together for the kids. I figured it was Fisher or VY not Fisher and VY.What I can't believe is how he managed to last 16 years!
[Reply]
shilala 07:31 AM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by jcruse64:
we need some QB fill-in (PLEASE tell me Kerry will not be back!!!).
There's a need for starting qb's in a lot of cities. I bet we'll see a lot of dealing going on in the off-season.
That Flynn kid in Green Bay looks like a mega-stud. I'd like to see him in Pittsburgh. It'd be a shame to see him languish behind Ben, but with Charlie retiring, and Dixon not developing, and Byron getting old, we need a real arm to step in when Ben gets hurt. And the way he plays ball, that could be any minute. :-)
[Reply]
Starscream 08:02 AM 01-28-2011
Carolina needs a QB too. Not much to choose from this year. Too many has beens available and not much in the draft that would fit a pro-style offense. Good luck with finding a good coach and QB all at once.
[Reply]
Noodles 08:07 AM 01-28-2011
Fisher's coming to Philly to be a DC for two years then take over as HC when Reid move upstairs.

Please let this happen :-)
[Reply]
Powers 08:14 AM 01-28-2011
I'm a Braves fan, a Titans fan and a Gator fan.

What am I gonna do next year with no Bobby Cox, no Jeff Fisher and no Urban Meyer!!
Its the coaching apocalypse for my sports teams :-)
[Reply]
Wanger 11:12 AM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by UFPowersmoker320:
I'm a Braves fan, a Titans fan and a Gator fan.

What am I gonna do next year with no Bobby Cox, no Jeff Fisher and no Urban Meyer!!
Its the coaching apocalypse for my sports teams :-)
Might as well just end it now, Mike. :-)

Could be worse, though...you could be a Twins, Vikings, and Gophers fan...wait...that's me. :-):-):-)
[Reply]
Powers 11:17 AM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by Wanger:
Might as well just end it now, Mike. :-)

Could be worse, though...you could be a Twins, Vikings, and Gophers fan...wait...that's me. :-):-):-)
Appreciate the empathy brother. Let's try to remain positive! :-)
[Reply]
yourchoice 12:35 PM 01-28-2011
Originally Posted by bonggoy:
Fisher's coming to Philly to be a DC for two years then take over as HC when Reid move upstairs.

Please let this happen :-)
Not a chance! (IMO) :-)
[Reply]
jcruse64 06:03 PM 01-28-2011
My wife's cousin is a Titan hater (BIG Lions fan), so he texts me that he hears that Chilly is on his way to Nashville. Not EVEN funny! :-) 'Course, even worse than that would be Matt Millen coming to town.

I don't care who they get, if there's not a work stoppage, 2011 is not going to be a banner season for the Titans, as it stands now.
[Reply]
Up