Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Sports>Selig Won't Reverse Call
The Poet 04:45 PM 06-03-2010
And bring back the spitball!! :-)
[Reply]
blugill 05:02 PM 06-03-2010
Are we talking about the same Bud Selig who looked the other way during the steroid era?
That's some prime protection of the game right there! Loads of integrity! Let players juice up while ratings tanked and the bleachers were empty after the strike.

The fact of the matter is that the runner was out, a perfect game was pitched, the ump apologized for a bad call, the right thing is to overturn the call but since that is the right thing, MLB won't do it.
[Reply]
shilala 05:02 PM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by VirtualSmitty:
The instant replay rule went into effect last year, not years years ago. And it did help get a few HR calls right. I'm not sure the answer is to let managers invoke replays, or argue balls and strikes, but given the closeness of the play and situation I can't see why the umps couldn't have the option to check things over. Or maybe not. The commissioner has the power to reverse plays, if doing so threatens the sanctity of the game so much, why bother giving him the option at all. It's there for a reason, what's the point if it never gets used?

Baseball is game. And games are meant to be fun. But this kinda takes the fun out of it don't you think?
Instant replay was tried in 99. It went into effect in August of 08.
I had to look it up. :-)
I have no idea why they would give the Commissioner the power to reverse plays. Makes no sense.
If there was EVER one he could and should reverse, it was Joyce's call. It's THAT clear cut, being the next to last play and all.
That's why it had me worried. :-)

I honestly don't think this outcome takes the fun out of it at all. I'm having all kinds of fun bantering with you about it, I just wish we had a porch and a cigar and a game on. :-)
Like I said earlier, it makes the perfect game that much cooler. No one will ever forget that call, much like no one has ever forgotten Bucky Dent.

Another thing is that it's gonna hang around for a good long while. There's no reason the next Commish couldn't overturn it. And Bud could still overturn it whenever he wanted. I just don't see it happening, for lots of reasons.
It really is one of those things where I could change my mind on it. But I won't. Goes to what Baseball is, and that's cool with me. It's the only reason I didn't want it overturned, and I was both pissed and hurt for Armando. I can't even put a solid finger on why it shouldn't be overturned, the only defense I have is "it just shouldn't".
[Reply]
galaga 05:33 PM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
Another thing is that it's gonna hang around for a good long while. There's no reason the next Commish couldn't overturn it. And Bud could still overturn it whenever he wanted. I just don't see it happening, for lots of reasons. [He just ain't got no balls, that's why]
It really is one of those things where I could change my mind on it. But I won't. Goes to what Baseball is, and that's cool with me. It's the only reason I didn't want it overturned, and I was both pissed and hurt for Armando. I can't even put a solid finger on why it shouldn't be overturned, the only defense I have is "it just shouldn't".

I knew it.
A Philly Phanatic:-)

ps Padres take the series....
[Reply]
floydpink 07:14 PM 06-03-2010
I kinda agree that you can't overturn a bad call by instant replay to save a perfect game on one hand, but also think Joyce obviously knew it was the last out for a perfect game and coulda been a little more favorable on a close call on another hand.

The game was won, history about to be made and the call had to be real favorable to give it to the runner.

I'm also wondering if Gallaraga might get more notice by the no-call as he would have with the perfect game he really pitched. Not that it matters.

I also find it a bit curious how leisurely Cabrera made the throw to first on a fairly routine groundball considering what was at stake.

The image that sticks with me the most from all this is how classy Gallaraga remained in an era of so many crybabies in professional sports.
[Reply]
timo 08:01 PM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
There is no basis for reversing the call after the game is over. Joyce apologized, Leyland and Gallaraga accepted. Done. Fini.

If they had reversed it would set a dangerous precedent that would go far beyond the existing rulebook. :-)
:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 08:16 PM 06-03-2010
While Gallaraga pitched a "perfect game". It is sad that he won't get the credit and while I may not agree with Bud, I understand why. If he reversed the call, the umpires "authority" would mean jack sh@t. He is only trying to preserve the integrity of the game.
[Reply]
Salvelinus 08:24 PM 06-03-2010
Originally Posted by floydpink:
The image that sticks with me the most from all this is how classy Gallaraga remained in an era of so many crybabies in professional sports.
:-) This is why there is no reason to overturn the call. Both parties involved acted like adults and professionals. The umpire admitted his mistake and took it upon himself to apologize, and Gallaraga has acted with nothing but class. Not to often in sports you see good role models for young atheletes.
[Reply]
icehog3 01:35 AM 06-04-2010
Originally Posted by icehog3:
I am glad Gallaraga is taking it well, and not letting it ruin his life that way Milt Pappas did almost 4 decades ago...he still freaks out about it in every interview he does to this day.
Pappas was on the 10 O'Clock News tonight, saying he was going to sign a baseball and shove it up Bruce Froemming's (the ump who "blew" his perfect game) ass. 40 years later, and he was ranting. What a waste of life.
[Reply]
14holestogie 04:26 AM 06-04-2010
The class of the game and the true fans were on display yesterday in Detroit.

Joyce got it wrong and admitted it. Gallaraga understood and forgave.
Sportsmanship at it's finest on display. That is, after all, the reason we all played the game.
[Reply]
JaKaacH 05:44 AM 06-04-2010
Originally Posted by bobarian:
There is no basis for reversing the call after the game is over. Joyce apologized, Leyland and Gallaraga accepted. Done. Fini.

If they had reversed it would set a dangerous precedent that would go far beyond the existing rulebook.
Let it go..Move on. Its just a line or two in huge record book that statistic geeks will argue about. We all know he pitched a perfect game.
[Reply]
Starscream 02:06 PM 06-04-2010
Good points from both sides of the table. I agree that the decision shouldn't be overturned now, as the game continued from that point. If they had stopped the game there and argued for days about it, then the call could have been overturned, but it's too late now. Gallaraga will be better remembered now than he would have if he had an "official" perfect game. So many have already forgotten the name of Dallas Braden. He's remembered more this season b/c of his beef with A-Rod than his perfect game.
[Reply]
Dave128 02:27 PM 06-04-2010
Originally Posted by shilala:
I was hoping he wouldn't reverse it. It's baseball. It's the way she goes.
The whole game relies on the human element, it's what it is. A metaphor for life.
Sometimes we get screwed in life. So goes it in baseball. That's what makes it baseball. :-)
Gallaraga really got hosed awful, and this call being at the end of the game, it was the perfect time to start that "change a call" crap. I was afraid Selig would cave.
This game will be far more famous than any of the other perfect games, being "The Perfect Game That Never Was". It's in it's own category.
I'll never forget this one. I remember Halladay threw one this year, and someone else.
Being my point, I already forgot. And I live, eat, and breathe baseball. Have all my life.
I hope they never add video anything to baseball. It's Selig's job to protect that, and to make sure it stays the way it always was. A perfect game played by imperfect people. :-)
I agree 100%.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up