Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Cost of the War
Cigary 12:32 PM 12-09-2009
I was stumbling around on the net as I usually do and was reading articles on the war and what our soldiers are having to go thru with so many of them going through more than 1 and 2 tours. Some of them are on their 5th tour,,,that is shocking and appalling at the same time. Without getting into the politics of whether we should be there or not there is a price to pay and we are surely paying for it in so many different ways. They say the average pay per soldier just going into service for the estimated call of 40,000 soliders next year going to Afghanistan is $750,000 per man! That is amazing when you consider the fact of what that kind of money would mean for our country at a time when a lot of people are losing their homes, their jobs and so many other things. Consider the fact of soldiers returning home who will need medical care for their physical and mental wounds,,,then the average goes up towards a million dollars per soldier.

Thoughts?

http://costofwar.com/
mariogolbee 12:36 PM 12-09-2009
My thoughts in a nutshell about these "wars" our government has been having have always been this in a nutshell. I don't support the wars but I do support our troops. The rest of my thoughts are of a political nature and thus will not be shared on this board.
tobii3 12:46 PM 12-09-2009
7 times for me now...counting all the way back to 1990

OIF x 2

OEF x 2

""Others"" - JTF SWA, Provide Comfort, Desert Shield/Storm

Next year will be tour #8

:-)
Cigary 02:45 PM 12-09-2009
Originally Posted by tobii3:
7 times for me now...counting all the way back to 1990

OIF x 2

OEF x 2

""Others"" - JTF SWA, Provide Comfort, Desert Shield/Storm

Next year will be tour #8

Having lived in San Diego which is a community that supports the Armed Forces I cannot even fathom 8 Tours. Our nation owes you a gratitude it can never full repay but it should. Like a house that is paid for, college paid for, 0% loan for automobiles, free health care for life for you and your family. This is how a greatful nation should provide for those who do multiple tours.
Kreth 03:09 PM 12-09-2009
Am I the only one that thought this was gonna be a tally of the damage from the Ph34r thread? :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
mariogolbee 03:13 PM 12-09-2009
Originally Posted by Cigary:
Having lived in San Diego which is a community that supports the Armed Forces I cannot even fathom 8 Tours. Our nation owes you a gratitude it can never full repay but it should. Like a house that is paid for, college paid for, 0% loan for automobiles, free health care for life for you and your family. This is how a greatful nation should provide for those who do multiple tours.

Originally Posted by Kreth:
Am I the only one that thought this was gonna be a tally of the damage from the Ph34r thread? :-)
Posted via Mobile Device
hotreds 03:35 PM 12-09-2009
Go figure! War is expensive! Keep in mind the National Priorities Project is just another left-wing interest group whose stats are suspect at best. Out.
AD720 03:56 PM 12-09-2009
Originally Posted by Cigary:
I was stumbling around on the net as I usually do and was reading articles on the war and what our soldiers are having to go thru with so many of them going through more than 1 and 2 tours. Some of them are on their 5th tour,,,that is shocking and appalling at the same time. Without getting into the politics of whether we should be there or not there is a price to pay and we are surely paying for it in so many different ways. They say the average pay per soldier just going into service for the estimated call of 40,000 soliders next year going to Afghanistan is $750,000 per man! That is amazing when you consider the fact of what that kind of money would mean for our country at a time when a lot of people are losing their homes, their jobs and so many other things. Consider the fact of soldiers returning home who will need medical care for their physical and mental wounds,,,then the average goes up towards a million dollars per soldier.

Thoughts?

http://costofwar.com/
Originally Posted by hotreds:
Go figure! War is expensive! Keep in mind the National Priorities Project is just another left-wing interest group whose stats are suspect at best. Out.

...over three hours, that's not too bad. :-)
croatan 03:59 PM 12-09-2009
Nipping in the bud.
pnoon 04:52 PM 12-09-2009
Some people never learn.
Up