Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Earthrise
AdamJoshua 08:16 PM 12-20-2013
On Dec. 24, 1968—45 years ago this week—by what is essentially coincidence and fast thinking, one of the most iconic photographs in human history was taken: Earthrise over the Moon. To me this is the greatest photograph ever taken, it always has been and it always will be.

The link is a great article talking about the Apollo 8 crew taking the photo, using current technology along with recordings from the capsule they have recreated what led up to this photo being taken. To me there is something about hearing these men talk and joke a bit with each other, these are true American Heroes, what they did will never been done again, they were launched into space, so no matter what the next generation brings, going to Mars or who knows where, they will only be walking in these men's foot prints, they might walk further, but these men were the ones that took those first important steps.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro...e_history.html
[Reply]
Ogre 08:18 PM 12-20-2013
Vary cool
[Reply]
Zane 08:18 PM 12-20-2013
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
On Dec. 24, 1968—45 years ago this week—by what is essentially coincidence and fast thinking, one of the most iconic photographs in human history was taken: Earthrise over the Moon. To me this is the greatest photograph ever taken, it always has been and it always will be.

The link is a great article talking about the Apollo 8 crew taking the photo, using current technology along with recordings from the capsule they have recreated what led up to this photo being taken. To me there is something about hearing these men talk and joke a bit with each other, these are true American Heroes, what they did will never been done again, they were launched into space, so no matter what the next generation brings, going to Mars or who knows where, they will only be walking in these men's foot prints, they might walk further, but these men were the ones that took those first important steps.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/bad_astro...e_history.html
Adam, I agree with you on so many different levels. These men did something that I know I would never have the courage to do.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:20 PM 12-20-2013
By the way for those that didn't know (I only know because of where I grew up next to Cape Kennedy and in the 60s) Jim Lovell was also the commander on the fated Apollo 13 mission.
[Reply]
8zeros 08:28 PM 12-20-2013
I haven't seen that in a while, thanks.
I had all the mission stickers pasted in my room. I loved everything space and NASA. This and the other iconic Earth photo of just the planet were always my favorites. I had one of those giant Moon map posters with everything labeled. I am still a follower of the space programs. I may even pay attention to what the Chinese are doing on the Moon.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:31 PM 12-20-2013
The only thing the Chinese are doing are screwing up NASA atmospheric analysis satellites. haha
[Reply]
MrClean 08:41 PM 12-20-2013
That was a really cool, I never realized where that shot came from. About 8 months before I was born. :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:59 PM 12-20-2013
Jeff I grew up 35 or so miles from Kennedy, my dad was a project manager for RCA in charge of setting up radar installations in Africa and down range for the launches, the air base right next to my house was where the astronauts would fly in and out of (in their jets because they were all pilots) back in the day the flew T-38 talons.

We could see every launch perfect from our house, I was too little but my mom told me when the Saturn 5s went up they would shake the ground for minutes and light the sky up like it was day time all over the place, I watched many many launches and watched the Challenger accident from the beach across the street from my house, they closed off all of our beaches because pieces were washing up for weeks after.

The below picture is newer (they still fly planes in themselves now they go to Kennedy instead of Patrick AFB), these aren't the older Talons.

[Reply]
Porch Dweller 09:45 PM 12-20-2013
Thanks, Adam. I absolutely love that photo.
[Reply]
MrClean 10:33 PM 12-20-2013
Jeff I grew up 35 or so miles from Kennedy, my dad was a project manager for RCA in charge of setting up radar installations in Africa and down range for the launches, the air base right next to my house was where the astronauts would fly in and out of (in their jets because they were all pilots) back in the day the flew T-38 talons.

We could see every launch perfect from our house, I was too little but my mom told me when the Saturn 5s went up they would shake the ground for minutes and light the sky up like it was day time all over the place, I watched many many launches and watched the Challenger accident from the beach across the street from my house, they closed off all of our beaches because pieces were washing up for weeks after.

The below picture is newer (they still fly planes in themselves now they go to Kennedy instead of Patrick AFB), these aren't the older Talons.

Adam, that is so cool, I grew up about 5 miles from an air force base. Lived there my entire life until I moved out when I was 19. The base was no longer active as far as flights went, but it was occupied for several years. The Blue Angels put on an air show once a year until I was a teenager and we could sit in our backyard and watch a lot of it. And every year a jet would come racing overhead, low and loud, my brother and I loved it. I've always been fascinated with flying and anything space related. It still blows me away what they did in the late 60's with the technology they had, those guys had to be a little nuts and a lot braver than I would have been. :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 10:36 PM 12-20-2013
Pencils, protractors and slide rulers sent men to the moon in things the size of a vw bug, today we can't send a man to the ISS without paying Russia for a ride. Ass, Grass or Cash No One Rides for Free.

For the non-readers here, this is Earthrise.

[Reply]
icehog3 11:57 PM 12-20-2013

Hey, I can see your house from here! :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 12:58 AM 12-21-2013
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Hey, I can see your house from here! :-)
Well I am kind of a big deal. :-)
[Reply]
Up