Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>ATTN: Insurance agents/Brokers/Professionals
darb85 07:28 PM 03-04-2009
As some of you know I am an insurance agent, I just started in december and have finally gone to the point of "full time" or qualifing for agency funding(production based).

I have the opportunity to step into a book of business in cadillac(about an hour south of me). Not only that but its basicly a turn key business.

Now on paper, this seems like a great opportunity, but I need to know what questions I should ask to see if its a viable opportunity. Ive asked a few general questions and heres the info I have:

400 policy book of business
Been reletivly neglected for about 3 months, so probably hemraging clients
2000 dollars a month in renewal comissions(if devided over 12 months), Ill see probably 800 of that for the first year.

400 a month in rent including utilities
200 a month in phone lines(2 lines plus dedicated fax line and 1800 number)
21 a month DSL line

Pros:
Very Competitive in the area
Only Farmers Agent within 50 miles
State Farm, allstate, auto owners and other agents are pretty much just surfing thier contracts till they retire
Nice office

Cons:
Smaller town
Largest Employer is 4winns boats
1 hour drive
Cost outflow of first year(im rent free right now)

So what do you think?

Any questions I should ask?
[Reply]
darb85 10:41 AM 03-05-2009
anybody have any tips? Please? :-)
[Reply]
Blueface 11:09 AM 03-05-2009
I am on the other side of insurance - claims.
However, looking at what you have stated, if it were a different time in our lifetime, I would consider it.
Given the times we are in with the depressed economy, looks like you are going to be working for free for a while as your expenses will equal your revenue, unless you can generate more business.
The fact it is a small town is not bad unless the company constrains you from reaching out to neighboring areas. Some companies do that, others don't care as it makes it competitive and keeps those older agents, that are just living off their book, on their toes.
Frankly, tough decision only you can make.
I am personally just so frightened of where we are and where we have yet to go that I would prefer status quo over a risk, specially since your business can be impacted by folks not being able to afford insurance.
[Reply]
darb85 11:15 AM 03-05-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
I am on the other side of insurance - claims.
However, looking at what you have stated, if it were a different time in our lifetime, I would consider it.
Given the times we are in with the depressed economy, looks like you are going to be working for free for a while as your expenses will equal your revenue, unless you can generate more business.
The fact it is a small town is not bad unless the company constrains you from reaching out to neighboring areas. Some companies do that, others don't care as it makes it competitive and keeps those older agents, that are just living off their book, on their toes.
Frankly, tough decision only you can make.
I am personally just so frightened of where we are and where we have yet to go that I would prefer status quo over a risk, specially since your business can be impacted by folks not being able to afford insurance.
Ya thats kinda where I am before, there is no problem with me writing else where in the state, I can write anywhere in michigan I want. Growing shouldnt be a huge issue but the intial out flow is concerning.

Thanks for the reply this has been a thorn in my side for a couple weeks and i kinda need to make a decision soon so trying to get other aspect to it.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 11:16 AM 03-05-2009
Can you run different revenue models to predict you hi and low potentials? How long is your lease and what are the renewal terms? Is there other office space in that area available? 1 hour drive certainly is a lot and ads to your costs for sure. Really look over the books and policies. Do you have employees working there? Doe you have exclusive agent rights for different insurers for that area? What is their current advetising model and costs?

On the surface, it sounds like a good opportunity if you want your own show. Just thinking the 40 hours a month or more could be in your car is something to consider. Basically one work week a month is just getting to/from work.
[Reply]
darb85 11:50 AM 03-05-2009
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Can you run different revenue models to predict you hi and low potentials? How long is your lease and what are the renewal terms? Is there other office space in that area available? 1 hour drive certainly is a lot and ads to your costs for sure. Really look over the books and policies. Do you have employees working there? Doe you have exclusive agent rights for different insurers for that area? What is their current advetising model and costs?

On the surface, it sounds like a good opportunity if you want your own show. Just thinking the 40 hours a month or more could be in your car is something to consider. Basically one work week a month is just getting to/from work.
Taking Over the lease, as of right now its month to month, may have to sign a lease.

I am a Captive agent, meaning I only sell farmers products, and I will be the only farmers agent for a while in the area.

No employees, but probably will hire one with in 3-6 months.

Other Office space is availble but not sure cost there, Im sure there is cheaper, that would be something to look at.

Time is the car is a draw back, esspecially considering I have a 10 year old suburban. So probably will have an expense of buying an new car some time soon in there too.

Books look good, Income when the agent was actually working was between 1900 and 3000 a month, including all renewals, Cash out was on the worse month 800 bucks, but averaged 624mo

Advertising costs are unknow, didnt think about that...
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:25 PM 03-05-2009
Originally Posted by darb85:
Books look good, Income when the agent was actually working was between 1900 and 3000 a month, including all renewals, Cash out was on the worse month 800 bucks, but averaged 624mo

Advertising costs are unknow, didnt think about that...
Although the economy is down, this is a good time to get the ball rolling now. If you can start a business now and keep afloat, you'll be a winner when things turn around. Most see today as negative, but many will make their fortunes starting this kind of climate.

Maxing at 3K a month is not a lot of revenue. I suppose they weren't so hungry and you'll have to be. I think when it's your own, one goes above and beyond to make things work.

The travel sounds like a kicker to me, but I don't know the work realities of your locale. Better look into that Honda Insight or Toyota Prius, lol...
[Reply]
Blueface 12:59 PM 03-05-2009
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
Although the economy is down, this is a good time to get the ball rolling now. If you can start a business now and keep afloat, you'll be a winner when things turn around. Most see today as negative, but many will make their fortunes starting this kind of climate.

Maxing at 3K a month is not a lot of revenue. I suppose they weren't so hungry and you'll have to be. I think when it's your own, one goes above and beyond to make things work.

The travel sounds like a kicker to me, but I don't know the work realities of your locale. Better look into that Honda Insight or Toyota Prius, lol...
In his area, having visited it, although quite beautiful, I am sure can add some more windshield time when winter comes around with the ice/snow.
I spent many years driving well over an hour one way. While it was painful, it was a way of making a living so I sucked it up.
Funny thing is for about 5 yrs, I drove 12 miles. All highway. Would take me almost an hour on some days due to congestion in the NYC area.
For a while, I drove from NJ to Brooklyn, for a total of 25 miles, which took an hour and a half and at that time, cost me $11 per day.

I guess you do what you have to but certainly something to consider very strongly in the overall package.
[Reply]
darb85 02:12 PM 03-05-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
In his area, having visited it, although quite beautiful, I am sure can add some more windshield time when winter comes around with the ice/snow.
I spent many years driving well over an hour one way. While it was painful, it was a way of making a living so I sucked it up.
Funny thing is for about 5 yrs, I drove 12 miles. All highway. Would take me almost an hour on some days due to congestion in the NYC area.
For a while, I drove from NJ to Brooklyn, for a total of 25 miles, which took an hour and a half and at that time, cost me $11 per day.

I guess you do what you have to but certainly something to consider very strongly in the overall package.
Ya, On the worse day, it adds about 20 minutes to that drive. Ive done it and plowed through 12 inches of snow to do it. Thats one of the Heviest Weights as to why not to do it, but at the same time, The book would be handed to me free. at no cost(well expenses would be incured but you know what I mean) and Honestly Thats huge.

Gah, Why cant this be an easy, yup ill take it situation?
[Reply]
Up