Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Ashton Classic
Nathan King 03:49 PM 10-29-2010
Ashton Classic Corona

Overall Appearance and Presentation - 17/20 points

The smooth, golden Connecticut shade wrapper was without flaw or discoloration. The simple white band adds a touch of class without distracting from the natural beauty of the tobacco.

Lighting and Burning Properties - 9/15 points

The cigar burned evenly until the half way mark where it decided to fizzle out despite my best attempts at stoking the coal. I snipped the charred foot off with my double guillotine and relit the cigar. The burn issue did not persist.

Construction - 27/30 points

The draw of the cigar was easy and full with a v-cut from a razor-sharp Boston desk mounted cutter. The cap held well and did not collapse or distort, and the ash held well.

Taste - 28/35 points

I knew going in that this was to be a mild smoke. What I did not expect was the monotony of the taste. From beginning to end, this smoke tasted exactly the same - remarkably consistent to a fault. I wasn't expecting to be left on the edge of my seat; however, a subtle shifting of flavors or secondary notes would have been welcome. The smoke was light and creamy. Well balanced notes of vanilla, nuts, and cedar were noted.

Total Score - 81/100 | Good.

I didn't feel the need to buy a box; however, I picked up two for the humidor on the way out. They're pricey considering what you get.
[Reply]
longknocker 04:25 PM 10-29-2010
Originally Posted by Nathan King:
Ashton Classic Corona

Overall Appearance and Presentation - 17/20 points

The smooth, golden Connecticut shade wrapper was without flaw or discoloration. The simple white band adds a touch of class without distracting from the natural beauty of the tobacco.

Lighting and Burning Properties - 9/15 points

The cigar burned evenly until the half way mark where it decided to fizzle out despite my best attempts at stoking the coal. I snipped the charred foot off with my double guillotine and relit the cigar. The burn issue did not persist.

Construction - 27/30 points

The draw of the cigar was easy and full with a v-cut from a razor-sharp Boston desk mounted cutter. The cap held well and did not collapse or distort, and the ash held well.

Taste - 28/35 points

I knew going in that this was to be a mild smoke. What I did not expect was the monotony of the taste. From beginning to end, this smoke tasted exactly the same - remarkably consistent to a fault. I wasn't expecting to be left on the edge of my seat; however, a subtle shifting of flavors or secondary notes would have been welcome. The smoke was light and creamy. Well balanced notes of vanilla, nuts, and cedar were noted.

Total Score - 81/100 | Good.

I didn't feel the need to buy a box; however, I picked up two for the humidor on the way out. They're pricey considering what you get.
Nice Review! Try The VSG!:-)
[Reply]
Nathan King 08:56 PM 10-29-2010
I think the VSG will be next. I'm excited to try it out. :-)
[Reply]
Up