Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Nicaraguan Favorites...
qsalinas 02:48 PM 03-09-2011
A good friend of mine is going back home to Nicaragua for a few days and I thought maybe I could have him pick me up so good cigars. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance... :-)
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 03:04 PM 03-09-2011
I would suggest cigars you can't get in the states... maybe local favorites or well kept nicaraguan secrets?
[Reply]
MurphysLaw 03:07 PM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by Emjaysmash:
I would suggest cigars you can't get in the states... maybe local favorites or well kept nicaraguan secrets?
:-) agreed!
[Reply]
T.G 03:08 PM 03-09-2011
When I visited Nicaragua last year, pretty much the only cigars that I saw which weren't counterfeits were those given to me at the factories and what was for sale in the duty free areas of the airport.

Some of the places selling cigars even had counterfeit Joya de Nicaragua cigars. This was in Esteli, down the road from the factory. :-)

Unless your friend can get access to a tour at the factories, I don't think he would be able to get any cigars as the zonas francas laws can make things a bit sticky for the factories to sell anything. Padron isn't in zonas francas but I doubt that they would sell anything direct.

The duty free cigar prices are outrageous. You can get better prices on the cigars just shopping around the various internet vendors here.

If you were looking for Cuban cigars, not a good place to buy them, I don't think there is a single LCdH in the entire country.

If he can, have him bring you back some Flor de Cana 18yr rum instead. You could get two 750ml bottles for $56 at the duty free, that's half of what it costs here, and it is fantastic rum. :-)
[Reply]
qsalinas 03:20 PM 03-09-2011
Originally Posted by T.G:
If he can, have him bring you back some Flor de Cana 18yr rum instead. You could get two 750ml bottles for $56 at the duty free, that's half of what it costs here, and it is fantastic rum. :-)
I love that rum and the 21yr old is even better.
Thanks for the info.
[Reply]
T.G 03:32 PM 03-09-2011
Welcome bro.

I don't quite remember what the duty free price was on the 21 year, I want to say it was $37-39 or so per bottle at the time.
[Reply]
Emjaysmash 03:37 PM 03-09-2011
This makes me wanna go to Nicaragua... :-)
[Reply]
Frodo 04:22 PM 03-10-2011
+1 on the rum suggestion.
[Reply]
guitar4001 04:43 PM 03-10-2011
yeah, buying well-known cigar brands from local vendors in Nicaragua is not likely going to get you anything other than a lighter wallet and counterfeit smokes. I'd suggest finding some small, out of the way cigar roller that has his own unbanded smokes for cheap. I don't even know if that is possible - most cigar rollers worth their salt are likely gainfully employed at a factory.

Maybe hitting up a tobacco farm for a tour may be your best bet. I know that Drew Estate has tours, dunno about the other guys.
[Reply]
Starz26 10:20 PM 03-10-2011
There is a cigar roller that sets up shop at the duty free in the departures area of Managua airport....

Did not get a chance to buy one though and they seemed a bit pricey
[Reply]
Up