Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Alibaba?
jhedrick83 01:39 PM 11-11-2014
Has anyone here used Alibaba before? With all it's IPO hubbub, I thought I would check it out. It's not the easiest site to search but there are some serious deals on there (assuming they are the legit products) . For example, an Epson Powerlite 3010 projector is $1,933 from Amazon there is a Chinese seller that is offering them (brand new in box he claims) for $435 with shipping to the US included.

I'm skeptical of how much of this stuff is legit and how much is counterfeit, I just wanted to see if any of you all have any experience with the site.
[Reply]
Remo 01:43 PM 11-11-2014
China is the counterfeit country so buyer beware.
[Reply]
jhedrick83 01:46 PM 11-11-2014
Yeah, that's what really concerns me. Form what I can tell there isn't really a way to see who is a legit seller and who is just hustling crap. There are sellers with special labels but it seems that those are just paid for by the seller. If I was looking at socks or wrenches or whatever, that's one thing. But I'm not in the mood for some knock off crappile.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 01:46 PM 11-11-2014
yah the closest I would get to buying anything would be something off of deal extreme, like 3 dollar lighters, not sure I would purchase a big ticket item like that from a site, you might want to go on the google and do a bit of review reading.
[Reply]
The Poet 02:31 PM 11-11-2014
Caution is wise. However, note that Alibaba has designs to challenge the dominance of Amazon in locales other than China, so there is the possibility they will make every effort to insure satisfaction to help them build up a loyal base of "Western" customers.

I dunno, yet it is something to consider. I also (no offense) do not care, as I have no dog in an Amazon/Alibaba fight, and have no money to be a customer of either. :-)
[Reply]
Tio Gato 06:41 AM 11-12-2014
Alibaba has a staff of 200 trying to stop the sale of fake goods. In the first ten months of 2013 they removed 114 million listings of fake goods. (from AP) China is the hot bed of fakes. I'd pass.:-)
[Reply]
jhedrick83 11:19 AM 11-12-2014
Originally Posted by Tio Gato:
Alibaba has a staff of 200 trying to stop the sale of fake goods. In the first ten months of 2013 they removed 114 million listings of fake goods. (from AP) China is the hot bed of fakes. I'd pass.:-)
Yeah, the more I look the more I see of those kinds of stats. I figured as much. Too good to be true is usually right.
[Reply]
jjirons69 11:22 AM 11-12-2014
We were looking for better pricing on printer paper. I stumbled across the site to see what they had. I found a really good deal on a Sealand container full around 20 tons. Management probably wouldn't go for it.
[Reply]
shilala 12:42 PM 11-12-2014
I wouldn't even do it if you were paying the tab for me, brother.
Not worth the stress, worry, anxiety, wait, or any of the other million negatives that have probably crossed your mind.
[Reply]
jhedrick83 12:50 PM 11-12-2014
Originally Posted by jjirons69:
We were looking for better pricing on printer paper. I stumbled across the site to see what they had. I found a really good deal on a Sealand container full around 20 tons. Management probably wouldn't go for it.
:-) Some people just don't appreciate economies of scale.
[Reply]
Up