Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Coolidor question
MarioF 05:14 PM 02-24-2010
Thanks everybody for your help, we had heard that when the temp goes down the humidity would go up which didn't sound right. Personally I think he just needs to let everything balance out for while and see where it goes. He's only had it for a couple of weeks and is stuffing it full of new boxes. I'm going to tell him to stop buying for a while (which his wife will appreciate) and let the beads and wood do there job. Thanks again.
Mario
[Reply]
CigarNut 05:18 PM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by Beer Doctor:
:-)Also, the cigars may currently be overhumidified.
While this may be true -- the cigars are overhumidified -- this should not result in higher overall RH in the coolidor, at least not for very long.

If the beads are working correctly they should absorb the excess moisture (until the beads become saturated, but then you should be able to tell when the beads are saturated).
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 05:51 PM 02-24-2010
Originally Posted by ggainey:
Doesnt the humidity go down when the temp goes down? When i have a power outage and the vino resets to the lowest temp setting the RH drops til i turn the temp back up.
Relative humidity is inversely relative to temperature. It is a percent of maximum. Hotter temps at a constant pressure hold more water vapor.
Originally Posted by :

The warmer air is, the more water vapor it can "hold." Dew point is a measure of how much water vapor is actually in the air. Relative humidity is a measure of the amount of water in the air compared with the amount of water the air can hold at the temperature it happens to be when you measure it. To see how this works, let's use the chart below.
Air temperature in degrees C Water vapor air can hold at this temperature.
30 degrees 30 grams per cubic meter of air
20 degrees 17 grams per cubic meter of air
10 degrees 9 grams per cubic meter of air
These numbers, which apply to air at sea level pressure, are based on measurements over the years. They are basic physical facts.
So in a sealed container, if you cool it down it will go up in RH because it will hold less water vapor. Cool it down enough and it sweats. This is what happens to an iced drink on a hot day.
Your RH should always be measured at 60-70 degrees to get a good idea of what it will smoke like. If you take a cold 70% cigar into a warm room it will smoke dry. Take a warm 60% cigar outside where it's freezing and it will smoke wet.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up