Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Car Issues
gettysburgfreak 06:35 PM 07-23-2009
So on June 4th I purchased a 2005 Cadillac CTS from a dealer in upstate NY. In that time I have gone back numerous times to have an air bag sensor replaced and to fix my steering wheel that has shimmed. They said they replaced the tie rod and front drivers side rim that was bent. The shimming has mostly went away but still vibrates once in awhile. Fast forward to a few days ago..

I am driving down to gettysburg on Monday with a friend of mine and while on US 15 my car starts to hesitate. Nothing major at first but enough for me to take notice. While driving to Baltimore on tuesday it gets a little worse, yesterday driving to DC gets a little more hesitant. By today it was hesitating very very badly, so much so I cut my trip short to come home today. It also makes a fairly odd clunky noise and sounds like a diesel engine. I called the dealer and they are going to look at it tomorrow.

My question is this:

What do you guys think could be a possible issue
What are my rights in terms of the lemon law?
[Reply]
kgoings 06:38 PM 07-23-2009
Originally Posted by gettysburgfreak:
So on June 4th I purchased a 2005 Cadillac CTS from a dealer in upstate NY. In that time I have gone back numerous times to have an air bag sensor replaced and to fix my steering wheel that has shimmed. They said they replaced the tie rod and front drivers side rim that was bent. The shimming has mostly went away but still vibrates once in awhile. Fast forward to a few days ago..

I am driving down to gettysburg on Monday with a friend of mine and while on US 15 my car starts to hesitate. Nothing major at first but enough for me to take notice. While driving to Baltimore on tuesday it gets a little worse, yesterday driving to DC gets a little more hesitant. By today it was hesitating very very badly, so much so I cut my trip short to come home today. It also makes a fairly odd clunky noise and sounds like a diesel engine. I called the dealer and they are going to look at it tomorrow.

My question is this:

What do you guys think could be a possible issue
What are my rights in terms of the lemon law?
For the lemon law it has to be the same thing 3 times. They will get around that many times by saying it is something else each time. The hesitation doesnt sound like anything to do with the shimmy.
[Reply]
Rabidsquirrel 06:57 PM 07-23-2009
I'm leaning towards missfire/running on less than 8 cylinders causing the dieseling. Is the CEL on?
[Reply]
gettysburgfreak 07:18 PM 07-23-2009
Originally Posted by Rabidsquirrel:
I'm leaning towards missfire/running on less than 8 cylinders causing the dieseling. Is the CEL on?
Yes it is
[Reply]
dubnick 07:24 PM 07-23-2009
I'm going to have to agree on the misfire/ dropped cylinder issue/ possible fouled plug(s).
[Reply]
wrench turner 85 08:10 PM 07-23-2009
IDK what the lemon laws are in NY but as a mechanic the only that there trying to do is to get it to limp until any laws run out where they fix it for free and then tell you that this is wrong with it and hit you with a costly bill. Now if you back to the dealer and, see if there an ASE certified shop, if they are raise hell. say things like:" if you don't fix my car for good I'm going to call and get your ASE certification pulled" or " Fix my car or I'm calling GM head office and report your dealership and tell them what your doing" and use words like arbitration, BBB, and lawyer and they will fix about anything wrong with the car for free, hell you might get some free stuff out of it.
If you bought this car from a GM dealership it should not have all of these problems with this car but Shisss can happen. But if you have to don't be afraid to show you but and get nasty. if they say its fixed and it still does it a little bit take it back and have them do it again, and again until its fixed. Hope you have some luck with it.
[Reply]
BigCat 08:38 PM 07-23-2009
Lemon laws will vary from state to state. There are likely lawyers that specialize in that area in your state that will give you a free consultation. Check the phone book for one.
[Reply]
Benwoo 08:44 PM 07-23-2009
Quite a few things could cause the misfire... One of the coil packs could have taken a crap or is tweaking, or a myriad of other sensors could have given up the ghost... Or as mentioned a plug could just be fouled out, though there usually has to be a reason for that to happen on a newer car.
[Reply]
Up