Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>So you want to lower the RH of your HCM beads?
pektel 11:34 AM 09-29-2010
Follow these easy steps:

1. Get a little drunk. For me, it was 2 glasses of Jameson.

2. Get lazy. When smoking with buddies out in the garage, it's a terribly long walk all the way inside to pick out a new stick. :-)

3. Bring humi out into garage.

4. Continue drinking/smoking/having a good time.

5. Forget the humi in the garage, and leave it out there all night, where temps can get around low-mid 50's.

6. Jump up from the middle of a dead sleep at 7:00am to remember that you left the humi outside, and retrieve from said garage.

7. Presto! You now have 60% beads.

Wondering if I'm going to leave them like this, or raise them back up to 65%.

On a positive note, this was my first "herf". Enjoyed it thoroughly. :-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 12:15 PM 09-29-2010
As the temperature in the humi goes back up the RH of the beads will go back to where it was.
[Reply]
waffle 12:19 PM 09-29-2010
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
As the temperature in the humi goes back up the RH of the beads will go back to where it was.
Don't act like you have any experience with these :-):-)
[Reply]
pektel 12:20 PM 09-29-2010
Cool! It still reads 60%, and I left it out Saturday night. I'm still waiting. And, the hygrometer isn't calibrated yet. But the cigars are smoking fine, so no worries. :-)
[Reply]
DGK 12:20 PM 09-29-2010
Thats almost as good as making sure you leave town for a couple of days and forget to have your neighbor get the box of cigars that the UPS guy is gonna put at the doorstep so it can bake in the full afternoon sun til you get back.
[Reply]
pektel 12:21 PM 09-29-2010
Originally Posted by DGK:
Thats almost as good as making sure you leave town for a couple of days and forget to have your neighbor get the box of cigars that the UPS guy is gonna put at the doorstep so it can bake in the full afternoon sun til you get back.
Ouch. That WOULD suck.
[Reply]
Eleven 01:47 PM 09-29-2010
I hope those were REALLY big glasses of Jameson. That stuff starts to taste like candy after a few sips, next thing you know you're looking at the bottom of the bottle!
[Reply]
pektel 02:28 PM 09-29-2010
Not really. Standard rocks glasses. Three fingers high, then added ice.

One of the other guys drank WAY more than me. Got sick, then proceeded to climb into the trunk of a car in the garage to sleep. Luckily, I was able to snap a pic of him before he passed out:

[Reply]
Eleven 02:44 PM 09-29-2010
Hah! Nice V8 tattoo :-)

And 3fingers is good, thats a nice drink!
[Reply]
BigAsh 02:55 PM 09-29-2010
Originally Posted by pektel:
Follow these easy steps:

1. Get a little drunk. For me, it was 2 glasses of Jameson.

2. Get lazy. When smoking with buddies out in the garage, it's a terribly long walk all the way inside to pick out a new stick. :-)

3. Bring humi out into garage.

4. Continue drinking/smoking/having a good time.

5. Forget the humi in the garage, and leave it out there all night, where temps can get around low-mid 50's.

6. Jump up from the middle of a dead sleep at 7:00am to remember that you left the humi outside, and retrieve from said garage.

7. Presto! You now have 60% beads.

Wondering if I'm going to leave them like this, or raise them back up to 65%.

On a positive note, this was my first "herf". Enjoyed it thoroughly. :-)
:-)....I like it!.....good smokes.....good friends....good drink! :-)
[Reply]
pektel 02:17 PM 10-04-2010
Beads still steady at 60%...
[Reply]
itzfrank 02:31 PM 10-04-2010
Maybe you left the humidor open too?
[Reply]
pektel 02:32 PM 10-04-2010
lol nope. She was closed. Just in a cold garage.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:21 AM 10-05-2010
If the beads have not come back to 65% after this amount of time it sounds like they need to be recharged. Just stick them in a ziplock or tupperware container with a damp (distilled water) sponge and a hygrometer. Take the sponge out after about an hour and check the RH and repeat as necessary.
[Reply]
pektel 09:56 AM 10-05-2010
Thanks for the info, Michael. Will try this as soon as I get home. Top notch product and service! :-)
[Reply]
pektel 11:53 AM 10-14-2010
So... what I tried was just placing a bowl of distilled water with a sponge in it, inside the humi with the beads overnight. The rh was good for a few days, then went back down to about 62. So I pulled everything from the humi, transferred it to a cooler, and am going to reseason the humi. I think that may be part of the problem too.

I'm not in any way worried about it, as I know they will come back just fine. Just thinking I may need to reseason, since the cedar in the humi itself may have gotten a little dried out.
[Reply]
Up