Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Help with Humidor Dimensions
DGK 10:46 AM 09-27-2010
One of my hobbies is woodworking, so building my own humidor is a must-do project. I have a small home office that I smoke in so I've decided to make a wall mounted humidor below a shelf...it's wasted space anyway, accessible, and I have very little floorspace that is unoccupied so it just makes sense for me.

My question is about the depth of the humi. With the current configuration of the shelf, I have about 10 inches of depth available to work with and am wondering if that is deep enough for storing (most) boxes or should I make it deeper?

The current dimensions iI have in mind are approx 6'W X 12" to 16" H X whatever the consensus here determines.
Attached: Humi Plan.jpg (31.9 KB) 
[Reply]
dwoodward 01:43 PM 09-27-2010
Not sure on dimensions, but don't forget pics for each stage of the project, I will be following this one! :-)
[Reply]
Eleven 03:37 PM 09-27-2010
Originally Posted by dwoodward:
Not sure on dimensions, but don't forget pics for each stage of the project, I will be following this one! :-)
:-)
[Reply]
jkstewart1 08:51 AM 10-04-2010
It strikes me (i'm a noob, so you don't have to listen) that the dimensions are largely dependent on the space you have and the size of the sticks you like to smoke. If you are generally a robusto guy, they come in a 5" length plus a bit for the box. Churchills are usually around 7". I would think that would govern how deep you make your humi. Or if you want to be able to store double rows, just go double deep on the dimensions. Will you be storing in boxes or just the cigars? Just things to consider.

I've been working out the feasibility to build a large (16 cubit foot) humi that will sit on casters and roll out from under some slot car benchwork I have in my workroom. The easiest dimensions would be 2x2x4, but is that the best use of the space? Just depends on the dimensions of most of the boxes I plan on storing plus room for air circulation.

Simple musings on dimensional thoughts. Take it or leave it.

Cheers!

John
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:26 AM 10-04-2010
I think you will get by just fine with the dimensions you have selected -- if you find a box won't fit length-wise you can always turn it side-ways. If you get a monster box that just won't fit you can take the sticks out of the box and put them in that nice singles tray that you are going to build in to your humi :-)
[Reply]
hscmit 09:52 AM 10-04-2010
You might want to double the height, you will fill that very quickly
[Reply]
CRIMPS 11:17 AM 10-04-2010
It has always bothered me that Cigar boxes come in so many different sizes (i.e. Oliva v. Arturo Fuente). Anyway, this is something to consider. I would add height as well.
[Reply]
Bunker 01:32 PM 10-04-2010
Are you going to try an build it out of cedar or line it with cedar? If you are lining it you have to figure on your inside dimension being smaller than your original measurements.
[Reply]
DGK 01:40 PM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by CRIMPS:
It has always bothered me that Cigar boxes come in so many different sizes (i.e. Oliva v. Arturo Fuente). Anyway, this is something to consider. I would add height as well.
Up until this point, I buy my smokes in singles, 5ers, and bundles so I really haven't a clue about the boxes other than they come in too many sizes :-), but since the example above was used, this is probably the better way to get the answer to my original question... How big (L X W) are the Oliva v. Arturo Fuente boxes?

Since I first started thinking about this I have scratched the single long humi idea and will build 2 separate but identical wall hung cabinets measuring 16"H X 26"W X 10"D. These will be hung on the wall under existing shelves and above my desk so the height is restricted to 16"... but I have plenty more linear wall space available.

The rough draft is done, wood is being gathered, and as soon as I have time I'll work out the construction details and the cut-list.
[Reply]
CRIMPS 02:35 PM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by DGK:
Up until this point, I buy my smokes in singles, 5ers, and bundles so I really haven't a clue about the boxes other than they come in too many sizes :-), but since the example above was used, this is probably the better way to get the answer to my original question... How big (L X W) are the Oliva v. Arturo Fuente boxes?

Since I first started thinking about this I have scratched the single long humi idea and will build 2 separate but identical wall hung cabinets measuring 16"H X 26"W X 10"D. These will be hung on the wall under existing shelves and above my desk so the height is restricted to 16"... but I have plenty more linear wall space available.

The rough draft is done, wood is being gathered, and as soon as I have time I'll work out the construction details and the cut-list.
I spent an hour or so on Saturday looking through the "Lets see those humidors" Thread. Love seeing people's stashes :-)

Anyway, check out this post here. Notice the different sized boxes. Anyway, I think your updated plans sound fine.
[Reply]
Up