Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Usenet Sites
Starscream 06:55 PM 06-15-2009
What is a usenet site and is CA one? My workplace now blocks Usenet sites for general use and CA registers as a Usenet site.

Any info is appreciated.:-)
[Reply]
alley00p 07:35 PM 06-15-2009
Usenet was the original threaded area found back when the internet was young and most people used unix or other non-graphical terminals to access them. There are thousands of "boards" or threads, covering every type of subject you might be interested in.

Later on, people created bulletin boards and usenet kind of died off a bit (excluding the adult-oriented types) but it's still around. I download books for my old Treo phone off of there and recompile the books - sometimes a book can comprise 10 or more files.

I know there used to be some cigar threads there, but I never went on them.

CA is actually a Bulletin Board, but blocking software can be programmed to disallow access to certain subjects like tobacco or smoking.

Hope that helps a little....

:-)
[Reply]
markem 07:39 PM 06-15-2009
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USENET

For a while, I had an account on USENET site #3.
[Reply]
pnoon 07:47 PM 06-15-2009
Originally Posted by markem:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USENET

For a while, I had an account on USENET site #3.
And people call me old. :-)
[Reply]
markem 07:48 PM 06-15-2009
Originally Posted by pnoon:
And people call me old. :-)
yes, as a matter of fact they do :-) :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 07:51 PM 06-15-2009
Originally Posted by markem:
yes, as a matter of fact they do :-) :-)
:-) & :-)
[Reply]
alley00p 07:57 PM 06-15-2009
OMG, Peter, I didn't know you were a FOG!!!!

:-) :-)

[Reply]
rennD 08:07 PM 06-15-2009
Originally Posted by alley00p:
OMG, Peter, I didn't know you were a FOG!!!!

:-) :-)

Was it the lack of hair or the shrinking that gave him away? :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 10:35 PM 06-15-2009
Originally Posted by rennD:
Was it the lack of hair or the shrinking that gave him away? :-)
Peter isn't shrinking, he has always been a dwarf. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 06:41 AM 06-16-2009
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Peter isn't shrinking, he has always been a dwarf. :-)
I'm still taller than Dustin.

And from this photo, you're not any taller than me. :-)

[Reply]
MajorCaptSilly 07:41 AM 06-16-2009
alt.smokers.cigars on Usenet used to be a great site (early-mid 90's) it's mostly deteriorated into trolldom at this point. I learned a lot in my early years, though.

MCS
[Reply]
Don Fernando 10:08 AM 06-16-2009
Originally Posted by alley00p:
Usenet was the original threaded area found back when the internet was young and most people used unix or other non-graphical terminals to access them. There are thousands of "boards" or threads, covering every type of subject you might be interested in.

Later on, people created bulletin boards and usenet kind of died off a bit (excluding the adult-oriented types) but it's still around. I download books for my old Treo phone off of there and recompile the books - sometimes a book can comprise 10 or more files.
Usenet is still alive, stronger then ever. And not just with ****ographic material. The binary groups are filled with music, movies and software.
[Reply]
Starscream 02:24 PM 06-16-2009
Thanks for the info all. My school system does block sites that reference tobacco or alcohol, but they specify the reason at the bottom of the blocked site. When I try to access CA it only mentions that it is a Usenet site and is blocked for general use. It's funny that they haven't blocked Caputo's site though...:-)
[Reply]
pnoon 05:58 PM 06-16-2009
Originally Posted by andysutherland:
Thanks for the info all. My school system does block sites that reference tobacco or alcohol, but they specify the reason at the bottom of the blocked site. When I try to access CA it only mentions that it is a Usenet site and is blocked for general use. It's funny that they haven't blocked Caputo's site though...:(
Cesspools must be o.k. :-)
[Reply]
Up