Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Downtown Portland- Places to smoke
Dukeuni 02:05 PM 02-12-2010
I am taking my wife to Portland Oregon tomorrow, and spending the night at the Westin in Downtown Portland. The Rich's Tobacco shop is right next to the hotel, and I know I can smoke inside Rich's shop.

My question is if there is any good places near the hotel where I can smoke and sit around. I had heard that Rich's was thinking about setting up a lounge area, but I do not think that is done yet. Since I am taking my wife down for Valentines Day, I won't have much time to drive other places, or enough time to sit around for more then a hour at most. The weather report shows rain, so outside smoking seems to be out of the question.

Any ideas?
[Reply]
JE3146 02:13 PM 02-12-2010
Could prolly sit around the waterfront park if that's close. I'm not familiar where that hotel is.

Not gonna be many places, if any, to smoke inside though.
[Reply]
SMW 02:17 PM 02-12-2010
You could always try El Gaucho's Cigar Bar (503-227-8794)...
[Reply]
Dukeuni 02:31 PM 02-12-2010
I did not know that El Gaucho has a cigar bar. I just called them and they are open until 1:00 a.m. on Saturday, and you can bring your own cigars. I think I will have to take the misses over to El Gaucho after our dinner at Genoa.
[Reply]
JE3146 02:34 PM 02-12-2010
Originally Posted by Dukeuni:
I did not know that El Gaucho has a cigar bar. I just called them and they are open until 1:00 a.m. on Saturday, and you can bring your own cigars. I think I will have to take the misses over to El Gaucho after our dinner at Genoa.
I'm gonna have to remember that one for future reference :-)
[Reply]
SMW 02:37 PM 02-12-2010
Very nice indeed. Enjoy the evening.
[Reply]
CigarNut 09:13 PM 02-12-2010
I frequently go to El Gaucho and enjoy it. The service is outstanding! And it's right next door to the Westin.

I was there a few weeks ago and Shaq, Lebron and some other Cavs joined us for a cigar :-)
[Reply]
physiognomy 10:58 PM 02-12-2010
Another :-) for El Gaucho... Enjoyed the lounge while staying at the Benson last year.
[Reply]
Tripp 11:25 PM 02-12-2010
its a few blocks away, but if you're a whiskey drinker, Kells has a smoking lounge, and the best whiskey selection in town.
[Reply]
Dukeuni 09:28 AM 02-17-2010
Just wanted to give everyone a update. I ended-up going to the cigar lounge on Saturday night. The restaurant was packed because of Valentine Day, but the cigar lounge was not that full. The cigar prices were just outrageous, but I guess that is what I should expect. I enjoyed my Ron Zacapa rum and a Opus X Love Story. They had the flat screen showing the Olympics, and overall I had a great time.

The only thing I would have changed for the lounge would have been a little better ventilation, some more room, and all full size leather chairs and one more couch. I just wish I did not feel like the red-headed stepchild of the restaurant. By hiding the lounge in the back corner, you feel like a leper.
[Reply]
akumushi 10:16 AM 02-17-2010
Just wanted to give everyone a update. I ended-up going to the cigar lounge on Saturday night. The restaurant was packed because of Valentine Day, but the cigar lounge was not that full. The cigar prices were just outrageous, but I guess that is what I should expect. I enjoyed my Ron Zacapa rum and a Opus X Love Story. They had the flat screen showing the Olympics, and overall I had a great time.

The only thing I would have changed for the lounge would have been a little better ventilation, some more room, and all full size leather chairs and one more couch. I just wish I did not feel like the red-headed stepchild of the restaurant. By hiding the lounge in the back corner, you feel like a leper.
Smokers, the Lepers of the 21st century.:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 10:59 AM 02-17-2010

They have been planning an expansion of the cigar lounge for quite some time. Since they serve meals in there they won't take out the tables, but it would be great if it was all nice leather chairs and end-tables.

The expansion they are planning will move the wall with the humidor back about 20 feet. They have been planning it for some time; I hope they will start working on it soon :-)

Glad you had a good time -- maybe next time you are in town I can meet you!
[Reply]
Up