Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Discussion>Problem With An Old Tin
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:13 PM 09-21-2012
Before I begin, I don't smoke a pipe hardly at all. If I do, it's in the winter and usually only 5-10 times a year. I do enjoy my pipe, but not nearly as much as my cigars. Anyway, I was just going through some old tins I bought at least 5 years ago and opened up a tin of Esoterica And So To Bed. I found what looks like rust around the edge of the tin. Is this the oils that began to rust on the tin? Is my tobacco still ok to smoke?

[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:20 PM 09-21-2012
In other words, help me Mister Moo!!!:-):-)

Seriously, it's almost like a tar or build up of oils around the edge of the tin. I really don't know what it is though.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 09:39 PM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
... I found what looks like rust around the edge of the tin. Is this the oils that began to rust on the tin? Is my tobacco still ok to smoke?

Have you had a tetanus shot in the last five years? :-)
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 09:42 PM 09-21-2012
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz:
Have you had a tetanus shot in the last five years? :-)
:-):-):-)
[Reply]
Zanaspus 09:34 AM 09-22-2012
If the tobacco is still springy, there's no reason whatsoever you cannot smoke it. I'd transfer it to another container. If the tobacco has turned to zombie dust, it is too late to be saved.
[Reply]
688sonarmen 10:19 AM 09-22-2012
I don't think oil would rust the tin but the added water could. I would smoke it or at most around where the rust is after transferring it to a other container.
[Reply]
Pat1075 10:08 AM 09-24-2012
your fine smoke it. I've had 30 yr old tins of dunhill with rust in the tin a little on the dry side but delicious
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 02:37 PM 10-05-2012
Originally Posted by ChicagoWhiteSox:
Before I begin, I don't smoke a pipe hardly at all. If I do, it's in the winter and usually only 5-10 times a year. I do enjoy my pipe, but not nearly as much as my cigars. Anyway, I was just going through some old tins I bought at least 5 years ago and opened up a tin of Esoterica And So To Bed. I found what looks like rust around the edge of the tin. Is this the oils that began to rust on the tin? Is my tobacco still ok to smoke?

Originally Posted by Pat1075:
your fine smoke it. I've had 30 yr old tins of dunhill with rust in the tin a little on the dry side but delicious

...and you can simply transfer the contents in to individual Kerr or Ball jars, label them, and put em away until your ready to pack your pipe and enjoy:-)
[Reply]
physiognomy 05:38 PM 10-05-2012
This seems to be a common occurrence with older Esoterica tins... I would transfer the tobacco to a jar and smoke it up.
[Reply]
ChicagoWhiteSox 05:42 PM 10-05-2012
Just a follow up on this, I did transfer to a mason jar. This stuff smells really good fwiw.
[Reply]
Up