Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>airport express + printing help plz
goalie204 10:58 AM 04-04-2009
I got an airport express, because I want to be able to move my printer into the other room, and print wirelessly through it, without having to have the printer plugged directly into the computer with the usb cable. It is not a network printer, usb only. I have tried setting the airport express up AS my router, i've connected it to my existing network, and i've tried even just using it as a print server, and i can't get it working. I can ping the airport express, but tried to print through both my computers, and it acts as tho the printer cannot be found, even tho it's on, and plugged into the airport express with the usb cable. Anyone have experience with this? because I'm about to smash some stuff with hammers.

its a kodak easyshare printer, and i just found a thread on apple.com that says it just straight up doesnt work with this printer.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....sageID=6454661

now i'm raged because i have an awesome printer that i have to run a long usb cable to use if i want to have my computer in one room and the printer in another.

Anyone have experience with this?
[Reply]
AD720 11:01 AM 04-04-2009
I don't have an airport so I'm not going to be much help here, but have you installed the printer software on the computers you are trying to print from?
[Reply]
goalie204 11:03 AM 04-04-2009
Originally Posted by AD720:
I don't have an airport so I'm not going to be much help here, but have you installed the printer software on the computers you are trying to print from?
yes.
[Reply]
The Professor 11:11 AM 04-04-2009
This is the setup I have in my house ... well, with a different printer (a Brother) and an Airport Extreme Basestation. I've had a setup like this (with an HP printer at one point) in my house for a long time. You're not going to like what I'm about to say.

Some printers just don't work in this configuration because they don't have the software to handle it. Period. No amount of wishing or fiddling will change that.

I learned this the hard way over the course of 2 days and about 14 hours of fiddling, searching, etc., with a Samsung printer. The model we had picked up just wouldn't work plugged directly into the router. That's when we got the Brother multifunction laser printer we have now.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news. On the positive side of things, this gives you the perfect excuse to get an even better printer. :-) Just be sure to search the Apple website first to make sure it'll work with your APE. :-)
[Reply]
goalie204 11:17 AM 04-04-2009
hah! Nah, this printer is good enough for me, it's fairly new. After posting this and doing more research, i've found more and more documentation including some from people that have talked directly to Kodak saying that this printer just doesn't work with the airports. Guess ill find a long ass usb cable and run it through the wall or something. :|
[Reply]
Old Sailor 11:17 AM 04-04-2009
You may have to get a wireless print server?
[Reply]
AD720 11:19 AM 04-04-2009
That is a bummer.

I got a Linksys wireless print server a long time ago and had a bear of a time setting it up. Finally I just gave up on it. I've been tempted to go digging for it to try again...

Now I use the finances computer (mac mini) as a print server using OSX printer sharing. That was really easy to set up.
[Reply]
goalie204 11:54 AM 04-04-2009
60 bux for a print server. I'm just going to buy like 16 feet of usb cable and move this printer to the other room. Too much headache alraedy :-)
[Reply]
goalie204 02:04 PM 04-04-2009
bought a 10 foot and a 6 foot usb cable and just ran it through a hole in the corner from one room to the other. 10-12 bux, and headache over. Maybe a print server in the future if the wire behind my couch becomes a nuisance
[Reply]
Blueface 08:31 AM 04-05-2009
I have an HP5280 that I had some trouble getting to work connected to the Airport Extreme to work wireless but all I did was call HP and they walked me through it and has worked fine ever since.
[Reply]
goalie204 09:58 AM 04-05-2009
Originally Posted by Blueface:
I have an HP5280 that I had some trouble getting to work connected to the Airport Extreme to work wireless but all I did was call HP and they walked me through it and has worked fine ever since.
I can appreciate that, but all the people that own tihs kodak printer have posted that kodak says it will not work wirelessly with airport express. I imagine with a print server it would, but the cheapest one i could find was $60, so i opted to just buy the usb cable and run it to the other room
[Reply]
replicant_argent 10:11 AM 04-05-2009
anyone ever try a bluetooth usb dongle on their printer?
[Reply]
Up