Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Buttons popping
The Poet 10:46 AM 10-01-2011
Congratulations to your son, and best of luck for his future aspirations.

My brother The Bird (Ret.) spent 26 years in Air Force blue, and late in his career they offered him a teaching position at Colorado Springs. As he had graduated college with plans to teach, I thought he would (and should) accept, but he passed on the opportunity. Had he gone, I might have had some backdoor pull for your boy. Oh well.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 11:02 AM 10-01-2011
:-)Just looked up some stats for the Air Force Academy class of 2014.

This is eye-opening.

Here is the profile for the Class of 2014:
Applicants - 11,627
Candidate Pool - 7,543
Qualified Candidates - 2,445
Offers of Admission - 1,566
Total Admitted - 1,294

By the way, that is 11% of applicants who made it. :-)

Here are the numbers for West Point
men women total
Applicant Files Started .11,198 2,756 13,954
Nominated .....................3,627 717 4,344
Qualifi ed (academically
& physically) ...........2,141 399 2,540
Admitted ........................1,049 212 1,261

By the way, that is 9% of applicants who made it.

Numbers for Annapolis are similar.

The US Coast Guard Academy only gets about 4000 applicants a years, but again, only 10% finally are accepted.

So, while Nathan may have laudable goals - and a good test score now - he still has a long row to hoe if he's ultimately to get in.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 11:04 AM 10-01-2011
Originally Posted by The Poet:
Congratulations to your son, and best of luck for his future aspirations.

My brother The Bird (Ret.) spent 26 years in Air Force blue, and late in his career they offered him a teaching position at Colorado Springs. As he had graduated college with plans to teach, I thought he would (and should) accept, but he passed on the opportunity. Had he gone, I might have had some backdoor pull for your boy. Oh well.
Thanks for the thoughts, but I don't know that it works that way. The academies are very picky and follow strict adherence to their rules, "We follow orders, or men die."

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
The Poet 11:29 AM 10-01-2011
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Thanks for the thoughts, but I don't know that it works that way. The academies are very picky and follow strict adherence to their rules, "We follow orders, or men die."

I am certain there's a lot of truth to that. I also know there exists a military fraternity where "things get done". With some of the contacts my brother made (War College, Pentagon, Joint Service), he might have been able to grease a wheel or two. It would not have pulled an application from the bottom of the pile to the top, but it may have slipped one from the middle under the right eyes.
[Reply]
RevSmoke 12:55 PM 10-01-2011
Originally Posted by The Poet:
I am certain there's a lot of truth to that. I also know there exists a military fraternity where "things get done". With some of the contacts my brother made (War College, Pentagon, Joint Service), he might have been able to grease a wheel or two. It would not have pulled an application from the bottom of the pile to the top, but it may have slipped one from the middle under the right eyes.
This I do believe.

Thanks for the thoughts.

[Reply]
taltos 05:34 PM 10-01-2011
Congrats to your son and to you and your wife for the job done raising him. He has my prayers for admission to the AF Academy.:-)
[Reply]
hotreds 05:43 PM 10-01-2011
OUTSTANDING! I'm sure your US Rep. will be more than happy to nominate him. Just call his office.
[Reply]
Steve 09:04 PM 10-01-2011
:-):-)
[Reply]
jledou 05:19 AM 10-02-2011
Congratulations to you and your son Todd!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up