Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Recieved a box today . . looks like mold to me. What do I do?
Kyle Hunter 10:22 AM 08-02-2010
This is the first box I have ever ordered, but I am on a quest to find a simple solution if there is one. Of the top 13 sticks, all but one appear to have mold and I am afraid to look at the bottom 12. What is the best course of action to take?

(edit) And of course I accidentally post in Habanos Discussion as opposed to All Cigar Discussion.

[Reply]
Negncic 10:38 AM 08-02-2010
Wipe it off and light them up.
[Reply]
yourchoice 10:38 AM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by Kyle Hunter:
This is the first box I have ever ordered, but I am on a quest to find a simple solution if there is one. Of the top 13 sticks, all but one appear to have mold and I am afraid to look at the bottom 12. What is the best course of action to take?

(edit) And of course I accidentally post in Habanos Discussion as opposed to All Cigar Discussion.
Your edit may impact what course of action, if any, I would suggest. If it were me it depends on ....(a) if from overseas and there was no mold on the feet I would notify the vendor to let him know, but wipe it off and smoke 'em. (b) if it was shipped domestically I would notify the vendor and ask him how he would like to handle it...but to your satisfaction (if you want them replaced, expect them to be).

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.
[Reply]
markem 10:43 AM 08-02-2010
That particular white mold is the variety that exists in the air around us and is quite harmless. Since it hasn't penetrated the foot and isn't green/blue, just lightly wipe off the sticks (I use a dry washcloth) and then go ahead and smoke them.

If you plan to store them for a long time, I would recommend putting them in either 5-finger bags or regular zip-locks with the closure sealed. This way you can see if the mold will reappear (unlikely, I would guess). If no new mold in a few weeks, I would guess that you are clear to move them into the regular storage without the zip locks. Btw, it is just fine to store sticks long term in the 5-finger bags.
[Reply]
Trouble 12:28 PM 08-02-2010
Looks like plume....

:-)
[Reply]
Brutus2600 12:54 PM 08-02-2010
Looks like...who cares! You have a crazy awesome macro lens to take really sweet close up pics with! :-) (seriously, that's crazy awesome detail)

But really, while I'm not an expert, it looks like mold and I'd just wipe it off and smoke 'em. If you're planning on aging them...well, I don't know then. I defer to the other forum-ites
[Reply]
Kyle Hunter 01:00 PM 08-02-2010
Well, I'll will wipe them off and see how it goes. Some shall age and some will smoke. Thank-you all for the input.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 02:01 PM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by Brutus2600:
Looks like...who cares! You have a crazy awesome macro lens to take really sweet close up pics with! :-) (seriously, that's crazy awesome detail)

That's disturbingly close. Electron microscope close. I don't think I see that level of detail when I'm holding a cigar in front of me.

And it's probably a good thing, too, cuz that sh*t looks kinds scary.
[Reply]
KenyanSandBoa 02:19 PM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by kaisersozei:

That's disturbingly close. Electron microscope close. I don't think I see that level of detail when I'm holding a cigar in front of me.

And it's probably a good thing, too, cuz that sh*t looks kinds scary.
:-):-):-)...it really does.

I had some sticks that came in like that. I did exactly what everyone has said and just wiped it off and smoked them...and so far I'm still alive. :-)
[Reply]
E.J. 02:56 PM 08-02-2010
I am not qualified to give expert advice on mold, so will stay out of that..

But....agree wholeheartedly, AMAZING shot.... That first pic is awesome. (also not an expert on photography, but have an opinion on that)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 03:01 PM 08-02-2010
I don't believe my eyes.... You have captured the first image on record of the elusive Albino Tobacco Cricket (See Red Arrow):
[Reply]
Dunkel 04:44 PM 08-02-2010
What cigars are they? They look tasty, minus the yeast infection. LOL
[Reply]
dwoodward 06:04 PM 08-02-2010
Originally Posted by St. Lou Stu:
I don't believe my eyes.... You have captured the first image on record of the elusive Albino Tobacco Cricket (See Red Arrow):
Haha! If you use your imagination it does look kind of like a cricket lol! :-)
[Reply]
stewshi 06:26 PM 08-02-2010
Those are crazy pics what camera did you use with what type of lenses?
[Reply]
Kyle Hunter 08:06 PM 08-02-2010
Nikon D700 and an old Vivitar 55mm Macro. The cricket is gone too, should have put it in a test tube . .
[Reply]
Up