Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Coffins and mold?
stewshi 12:51 PM 07-30-2010
Not sure if others have experienced the same issues but I just received a package of 2009 Liberty's and although I didn't want to open them, after my 08 Liberty Mold problem, I thought that I should check on them.

Of course the first of the 4 didn't have any mold on them while the other 3 had mold and 2 had them at the foot of the cigar. Thankfully they were small enough where I just clipped it a little and it didn't seem to have spread yet.

Is this an on going issue with Coffins?

[Reply]
mosesbotbol 12:57 PM 07-30-2010
That's not so bad at all. For sure it is mold, but I would not worry.
[Reply]
nofeardiver 01:06 PM 07-30-2010
something about smoking mold, yuck...
[Reply]
stewshi 01:09 PM 07-30-2010
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol:
That's not so bad at all. For sure it is mold, but I would not worry.
Glad someone confirmed called up the retailer and they tried to play it off as plume.

Said mold would not just wipe off and also usually grows on the band.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 01:34 PM 07-30-2010
Originally Posted by stewshi:
Glad someone confirmed called up the retailer and they tried to play it off as plume.

Sounds like they keep their cigars at a very high rh for cigars to mold inside a coffin. And going by their ignorant response, I would spend my money elsewhere next time.

:-)
[Reply]
JJG 01:58 PM 07-30-2010
y'know, a little mold doesn't bother me, because it DOES just wipe off. What bothers me is how many retailers try to claim it's something else when they know d@mn well it's mold!

As far as the original question, I'm only guessing, but it seems like maybe the coffins might not adjust to changes in humidity as fast as a "naked" cigar. so if the humidity got to be above the ideal range, the coffins could retain that excess moisture longer. Cedar wrapped cigars are more prone to mold as well. I'm guessing for the same reason.

also, I know some B&M's keep their humidors above 70% to compensate for people walking in and out all day.
[Reply]
CigarNut 02:12 PM 07-30-2010

Mind if I ask what retailer?
[Reply]
stewshi 02:15 PM 07-30-2010
Originally Posted by CigarNut:
Mind if I ask what retailer?
CI

On a curious note some call a certain online retailer the devil, which retailer are they talking about?
[Reply]
waffle 02:16 PM 07-30-2010
CI

On a curious note some call a certain online retailer the devil, which retailer are they talking about?
no no no the devil site.... cigarbid.com
[Reply]
Chingas 02:26 PM 07-30-2010
That sucks Brother. I'm a huge fan of the liberties, as is a few of my friends. Never encountered that problem.

Wipe, rest, SMOKE!
[Reply]
stewshi 02:26 PM 07-30-2010
Originally Posted by waffle:
no no no the devil site.... cigarbid.com
Thank you ... learn something new everyday :-)
[Reply]
stewshi 02:27 PM 07-30-2010
Originally Posted by Chingas:
That sucks Brother. I'm a huge fan of the liberties, as is a few of my friends. Never encountered that problem.

Wipe, rest, SMOKE!
Yeah bummer 2 different years 2 different retailers same result ... MOLD (insert throw up face)
[Reply]
Up