Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Everyday smokes
cmoran 11:42 AM 02-17-2013
I was looking on JR Cigars at their JR Alternatives, would anyone recommend these for an everyday cigar or should I steer clear? I thought if I stocked up on these it would free up some money for the occasional purchase of the better sticks. I am going to put together a coolidor and thought this would be a good way to get some smokes at what seems to be a good deal. :-)
[Reply]
pnoon 12:03 PM 02-17-2013
Originally Posted by cmoran:
I was looking on JR Cigars at their JR Alternatives, would anyone recommend these for an everyday cigar or should I steer clear? I thought if I stocked up on these it would free up some money for the occasional purchase of the better sticks. I am going to put together a coolidor and thought this would be a good way to get some smokes at what seems to be a good deal. :-)
Some like 'em. Some don't. Will you base your decision on what a few strangers who happen to post here will recommend?

My advice is to buy a 5er and decide for yourself.

There is also a sticky thread here that might be of help.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=643
[Reply]
dunng 12:04 PM 02-17-2013
I would probably stay away... What do you consider a better stick? And what is you target price for a everyday smoke? :-)
[Reply]
Wharf Rat 12:06 PM 02-17-2013
There will be different opinions on whether they're good cigars for the money. But, I think there'll be agreement that they don't reproduce the smokes they're touted to be alternatives to.

You can look around and find threads on recommended cheap cigars. Also, consider the newbie trade thread.

Welcome!
[Reply]
pnoon 12:06 PM 02-17-2013
Originally Posted by dunng:
I would probably stay away... What do you consider a better stick? And what is you target price for a everyday smoke? :-)
Good questions, Greg.
I would also ask "What, so far, are your likes and dislikes?"
Knowing that would give the members a better idea on to to suggest.
[Reply]
mahtofire14 12:37 PM 02-17-2013
I bought a 20 pack of the Chateau Fuente Robusto alternatives when I first got into cigars with the same thought. I thought they were tasty back then (Definitely not comparable with an actual AF CF) however I seem to still have 16 of them left and don't remember the last time I smoked one. So, they couldn't have been that good. Try some of the auction sites and just start piling up fivers or samplers of decent sticks for cheap and figure out what you like and don't like. That is the key. Good luck!:-)
[Reply]
the jiggler 12:48 PM 02-17-2013
I tried the fuente 858 maduro knock offs and will not be trying them again....
[Reply]
Sadden 02:04 PM 02-17-2013
If you like a smooth creamy cedary smoke then the RYJ 1875 in Bully is a great everyday smoke. Zero construction issues and by the case they are just under 4$ a stick. One dimensional and no strength so so if your not into that then steer clear.
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 03:50 PM 02-17-2013
Originally Posted by pnoon:

My advice is to buy a 5er and decide for yourself.

There is also a sticky thread here that might be of help.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=643

^^^The above quotes are good advice.

Back in the mid-90', I'd tried some of the JR Cuban alt. to the Bolivar, Cohiba, and RyJ, and really were fairly decent smokes. At that time, a bundle was going for around $17+/-. The JR Alt lines have been manufactured by different SA and Dominican tobacco companies, and the taste, flavors, construction, and burn I'm sure have changed over the years due to same.

JR has 5er' available or you could probably call one of their retail stores in NC and speak to a retail associate and put together some singles to sample.

Always keep an open mind and something might just become your everyday go to smoke:-)
[Reply]
cmoran 04:05 PM 02-17-2013
Thanks for all of the replies. I think the 5er packs will be the way to go. At least I won't be stuck with 20 or so smokes that I don't like. Thanks for the advice, after all, that's why I'm here.:-)
[Reply]
cmoran 06:53 PM 02-17-2013
Ok, I've been looking at 5 pack deals on a couple different sites, I will going that route for sure. I plan on getting everything for my coolidor next weekend, then let the slide begin. :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 06:58 PM 02-17-2013
Local B&Ms usually will have some cheaper sticks that are good everyday smokes, do you have a local shop you can visit, I've been lucky with some very helpful people there, letting them know what I have liked and told them I'm looking for an every day stick and don't want to spend a lot of money, have been pointed at some really good sticks that are surprisingly cheap.
[Reply]
cmoran 07:09 PM 02-17-2013
My local B&M is almost an hour away. I just don't get down there much, but the next time I do I will be stopping in for sure.
[Reply]
mk05 10:18 PM 02-17-2013
I used to like those Tatuaje HCS for Holts.
[Reply]
macsauce13 10:23 PM 02-17-2013
Gran Habano Vintage 2002. Seriously good cigar.
[Reply]
big_jaygee 10:23 PM 02-17-2013
...then let the slide begin. :-)
enjoy the ride brother :-)
[Reply]
Up