Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Riddle me this ...
AdamJoshua 09:00 PM 01-29-2013
So talking to 'my' EVP (executive vice president) at work about cigars, getting my face time in and talking about drinks etc., he's scotch or brandy with cigars, so I said I had some nice sticks coming in a couple weeks and I would bring some by for him. Yes well there are worse asses to kiss, and I actually really like this guy and he respects me and my work. Right away he said don't be silly that we should go out for drinks and enjoy them together.

So I have some H. Upmann No. 2 (a box) and Montecristo No. 2 (3) coming, which of these would you recommend and which drink, any drink, would you suggest with your choice, or you can recommend a totally different stick. I want to do it up right for him, again really nice guy and he always has my back at work, such as making me the design lead on a multi-multi-multi million dollar project.

BTW he doesn't really have a brand he favors, just likes to smoke cigars and play old boy network.

Many thanks in advance.
[Reply]
hotreds 09:01 PM 01-29-2013
give him one of each and a nice cask strength single malt.
[Reply]
RWhisenand 09:04 PM 01-29-2013
The Monties, and a pair of knee pads?

:-)

I keed...
[Reply]
pnoon 09:05 PM 01-29-2013
Monte 2 carries more prestige but the Upmann 2s are more consistent.
I vote for the Upmann. :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:06 PM 01-29-2013
I was def thinking that have a couple and let him decide something mild/medium or something bolder. So assuming a single malt and that would go with either of the sticks above, good to know. (I on the other hand will choke down the booze because I can't stand scotch ahah).
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:07 PM 01-29-2013
If our bonuses for the year (last) weren't already decided I'd cash in some stock and get some Cohiba 1966 - Limited Edition 2011, but since he already decided my bonus .. f' him.

Knee pads.. check.
[Reply]
T.G 09:09 PM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
If our bonuses for the year (last) weren't already decided I'd cash in some stock and get some Cohiba 1966 - Limited Edition 2011, but since he already decided my bonus .. f' him.

Knee pads.. check.

So much for telling him about this forum....
[Reply]
pnoon 09:12 PM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
Well, if Adam decides to invite him to join I can always edit/remove incriminating posts. :-)
[Reply]
Zane 09:12 PM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by AdamJoshua:
I was def thinking that have a couple and let him decide something mild/medium or something bolder. So assuming a single malt and that would go with either of the sticks above, good to know. (I on the other hand will choke down the booze because I can't stand scotch ahah).
I think it's a good plan. I still can't do the scotch either. So I usually stick with a nice beer.
[Reply]
yourchoice 09:12 PM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by T.G:
Still time to delete the post if you hurry! :-)
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:21 PM 01-29-2013
Delete Reason: "I'm a shmuck"

No no besides by now I think it would cost me one of the montes to get rid of it :-)
[Reply]
T.G 09:25 PM 01-29-2013
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Well, if Adam decides to invite him to join I can always edit/remove incriminating posts. :-)

But who are you? Shouldn't it be the site owner? After all, WHO IS PNOON??!?!
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:27 PM 01-29-2013
Awww yah **** just got real.
[Reply]
icehog3 11:34 PM 01-29-2013
Agreed. :-)

But Adam, why drink the single malt if you don't care for it? Drink something you enjoy with the cigar and the experience will be better. :-)
[Reply]
E.J. 07:54 AM 01-30-2013
Like Tom said, if you don't like Scotch, don't drink it.

My former boss and mentor, tried and tried to grow/build/formulate(?) my taste for good scotch, it never developed. I finally told him that he was wasting good liquor. I gave it the good college try and just didn't enjoy it. We come to a compromise, he started pouring me bourbon and I stopped leaving half consumed glasses of scotch around his home.....

As far as the cigars, you may be over thinking this a bit, assuming they are not coming out of a stay in your humidor, having sampled both and have a solid idea which is currently smoking better. Give him one....or the other....or bring a couple of each and let him decide what he wants to smoke, then join him.
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 09:48 AM 01-30-2013
Nah I wouldn't actually choke it down (that's what she said), I'd do some rum or just coffee, most likely rum, def bringing a couple of each we'll probably hang out and both smoke one of each, easier that way and yes to get a taste for them and see what they are all about.

btw Peter grabbed the rum you pointed me to, smooth like buttah, also grabbed a bottle of the Zafra Master Reserve, just to keep around the homestead.
[Reply]
the nub 10:40 AM 01-30-2013
Bring the HU. Take the bands off the Monte and put them on the HU :-)
[Reply]
tsolomon 11:00 AM 01-30-2013
Another vote for the Upmann. :-)
[Reply]
Up