Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Accessory Discussion / Reviews>Custom Drink Coasters
Hammerhead 11:44 AM 06-18-2024
I know that we BOTLs enjoy the finer things in life, especially where accessories are concerned. A while back, I used my mad CAD/CAM/CNC skilz to make these hardwood coasters as a housewarming gift for a friend and thought there may be some market potential selling them here and elsewhere, so I figured I'd ask y'all for some feedback.

The process is quite involved and it's not all automated. There's a good bit of labor not only in the machining setup and time but also in the handwork of glue-up, sanding, and finishing with a protective oil like Rubio Monocoat. These are NOT just simple lasered pieces, each is dimensional unlike the flat laser art you've seen. See below for photos of the male/female process of how the pocket and inlay is made.

Any number of hardwoods can be used to create a desired effect. Each inlay needs to be done for each color or texture of wood corresponding to the design. Other materials like epoxy or synthetic stone can also be an option. True bespoke pieces can also be created based on artwork provided or I can design something for you.

With all that said, what do you think would be a reasonable selling price for work such as this?

Mirrored male/female pieces

Guinness logo: Walnut and Cherry
Maker's logo: Cherry and Bloodwood

Attached:
[Reply]
icehog3 12:17 PM 06-18-2024
What's the thickness on these?

They are very nice looking. :-)
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 12:28 PM 06-18-2024
Beautiful work!
[Reply]
Porch Dweller 02:15 PM 06-18-2024
Nice work! As far as pricing, there's a lot of variables involved just for the materials, then add in what your labor is worth to you. Have you looked on Etsy for any similar items to get an idea how much they go for?
[Reply]
Hammerhead 07:10 AM 06-19-2024
Originally Posted by icehog3:
What's the thickness on these?

They are very nice looking. :-)
1/4" sold hardwood. I've been using my Guinness set and they hold up very well to moisture.

Originally Posted by Chainsaw13:
Beautiful work!
Thanks! I'll add you to the marketing list I don't have yet. :-)

Originally Posted by Porch Dweller:
Nice work! As far as pricing, there's a lot of variables involved just for the materials, then add in what your labor is worth to you. Have you looked on Etsy for any similar items to get an idea how much they go for?
Yeah, I thought about that with some hesitation. Etsy has a tendency to be a race to the bottom because there are sellers who (with all due respect) set a 'benchmark' pricing expectation with bargain basement products like the typical lasered stuff that just doesn't involve any real work. For instance these stamped or lasered leather coasters or modified stuff sourced from China. The closest thing to what I'd be doing are 'river' style epoxy coasters. And of course, there's that small matter of trademark infringement. :-) So, that's why I'm asking for an opinion from a market accustomed to higher quality, more unique and upscale items. :-)
[Reply]
Buckeye Jack 07:14 PM 06-21-2024
I charge $25 for a set of 4 leather coasters with an image burned on them.

As far as Etsy goes, I have found the more unique an item, the better it sells. I’ve sold tons of cigar cutter pouches wet molded to specific cutters. Also sold more generic cigar cutter pouches……but wallets? I’ve sold 0. Outside of Etsy I’ve sold hundreds….but 0 on Etsy. It’s too flooded with wallets.

I also dont sell leather coasters on there because of the amount of people selling them. I only sell those to those who ask or at the few craft shows I do a year.
[Reply]
Hammerhead 12:19 PM 06-22-2024
Originally Posted by Buckeye Jack:
I’ve sold tons of cigar cutter pouches wet molded to specific cutters.
Awesome concept! That's the kind of unique and semi-custom stuff that gets attention. Agree that Etsy can be touch-and-go, which is why I was asking for input on pricing. Thanks for the feedback!
[Reply]
Up