Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>La Flor Dominicana Airbender chisel
Don Fernando 03:24 AM 05-15-2011
I have a love/hate relationship with La Flor Dominicana, I really love some of their stuff, but there are also some La Flor Dominicanas that don't do anything for me. I smoked the Airbender matatan before and I liked that one, so I was looking forward to the day that the Airbender (named after the comic) chisel (named after the shape) would be released to the Dutch market and it's here, for only € 8,00. I love the chisel shape as it is so versatile. You can squeeze it open, punch it or cut it and the shape makes it easy to smoke. I usually squeeze mine open.

The airbender chisel has a 54 ring and measures 6½ inch long. The Ecuadorian wrapper is medium brown and oily with a few veins. The construction feels good and after I squeezed the cigar open I get a great predraw which tastes like pepper and raisin. The cigar has a strong barnyard smell.

I taste a dry wood with leather. After just a few puffs I also taste some red pepper. After half an inch I taste wood with some nuts and the pepper moved to the aftertaste. After an inch I taste leather with some wood, the flavors are dry and sticky. The wood slowly gets stronger.

Just before I reach the middle point of the cigar the nut flavor gets stronger, the leather and herbs are now the background flavors. The flavors are mild creamy. Just past the mid I taste nuts with red pepper. After two thirds the pepper gets stronger without overpowering the other flavors. The nuts are gone, the background now tastes like wood and herbs.

This cigar lasted me two hours and thirty-five minutes. The draw is great, but the smoke is quite thin. The light colored ash is very firm. The burn is beautiful. This cigar is full flavored and full bodied.

Would I buy this cigar again? Without a doubt.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 8 / 10
[Reply]
SteveH 07:54 AM 05-15-2011
Interesting review - the one I had was somewhat different from what you describe. The stick I tried produced TONS of smoke, but the flavor was one-sided with just strong fermented tobacco flavor. About 3/4 of the way through the smoke turned bitter and acrid so I put it down.
[Reply]
HollywoodQue 04:38 PM 05-15-2011
I was gifted one of these in a trade...I let it rest for 6+ months, well, I actually got about it, but the smoke and flavors were great.
[Reply]
Up