Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Humidor arrangement questions
Blak Smyth 05:32 AM 07-20-2011
My humidor is finally starting to get filled up.
I am wondering if there is a better way to organize or arrange my cigars?

Questions:
1) Is the top shelf best for cigars that you will smoke soon and the bottom better for aging?
2) Is there a preference of putting the foot or head towards the wall?
3) I have gel in the center, should I rotate cigars occasionally in this area?
4) Should I remove my dividers for more room or do they help?
5) Can I store cigars on end, with the foot down or is it best to leave flat?

Bottom:
Wheres Tatuaje? (My first one is hiding in there)

Top shelf:

Any input you can offer would be helpful, thanks guys.
[Reply]
Tbagley 05:50 AM 07-20-2011
I don't believe it really matters, although you may want to put flavored sticks in another box.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 06:00 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Tbag:
I don't believe it really matters, although you may want to put flavored sticks in another box.
Yah I've heard that, I don't have any flavored sticks though.
[Reply]
Sawyer 06:09 AM 07-20-2011
All personal preference except the question about storing them on their foot. This is something I would not do for singles as the foot could easily be damaged. Although I see all of your cigars are in cellophane, so that probably doesn't matter either.
[Reply]
chippewastud79 06:35 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth:
My humidor is finally starting to get filled up.
I am wondering if there is a better way to organize or arrange my cigars?

Questions:
1) Is the top shelf best for cigars that you will smoke soon and the bottom better for aging?
2) Is there a preference of putting the foot or head towards the wall?
3) I have gel in the center, should I rotate cigars occasionally in this area?
4) Should I remove my dividers for more room or do they help?
5) Can I store cigars on end, with the foot down or is it best to leave flat?
1. It will make them easier to get to.
2. No
3. No, but consider getting some beads tubes and putting one or two on opposite corners.
4. No, it makes them easier to organize.
5. Yes

Don't over complicate these things, its not all that difficult. :-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 07:01 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
1. It will make them easier to get to.
2. No
3. No, but consider getting some beads tubes and putting one or two on opposite corners.
4. No, it makes them easier to organize.
5. Yes

Thanks for your input, I rearranged my humidor at least three times last night and figured I would save myself some frustration and ask for opinions.

Thanks again.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 07:13 AM 07-20-2011
I'd probably avoid storing them vertically with the foot down. The flavors can leak out over time.

The answers to your questions can vary depending on whether you bought them online or in a B&M.

:-)
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 07:22 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz:
I'd probably avoid storing them vertically with the foot down. The flavors can leak out over time.

The answers to your questions can vary depending on whether you bought them online or in a B&M.

I buy most of them online, but I do try to grab one from a B&M whenever I go near one. Flavors can leak? Seriously or your messing with the new guy?
[Reply]
Sawyer 07:30 AM 07-20-2011
I buy most of them online, but I do try to grab one from a B&M whenever I go near one. Flavors can leak? Seriously or your messing with the new guy?
[Reply]
icehog3 07:56 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by chippewastud79:
This.
[Reply]
OLS 09:37 AM 07-20-2011
Hehe, over-complicate. When you are in your first humidor, everything is over-complicated. Let me give
you the advice I gave a young lady here who was having the same problem. Get rid of the shelf. That thing takes
up a ton of space. take the dividers and toss them out, too. Your gel is contained in a jar, so there is no chance of
molding up cigars around the sides of it. Maybe keep it in the middle with the shorties and leave the left and right
for the longies. You can almost double your storage by dumping the extra wood. No sense in throwing it away, but
get it out of there. And remember, you are likely to go bigger any day now, so see this as a temp problem. There
SHOULD BE SOME reasonable amount of air space in there to make it work properly, so SLAM full is not going to
work anyway.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 09:38 AM 07-20-2011
I'm pulling your leg. The nurse hasn't administered my daily meds. :-)

Really doesn't matter as long as you RH and temp are good.
[Reply]
OLS 09:55 AM 07-20-2011
I read that and thought, Jerry is MESSING with that boy, lol.

As for the dividers, I guess they could stay, but X the shelf.
[Reply]
rizzle 10:18 AM 07-20-2011
Eh heh. The old humi arrangement question. Doesn't matter how you do it, bacause you're going to redo it, and redo it, and redo it, and redo it. And then one day you're gonna say, what the hell difference does it make, and then you'll redo it again. :-)
[Reply]
baddevildog82 11:09 AM 07-20-2011
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz:
LMAO! Nice one! I remember when I was a newbie and all of the questions that came to mind. I soon realized that it is not brain surgery and to just do what I think is best. Most of the time, you get it right.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 11:26 AM 07-20-2011
Let me guess the CA Newsletter would have covered this subject?!?
[Reply]
area51 11:31 AM 07-20-2011
Most of it.
[Reply]
Up