Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Hi, noob here with questions
ihocky2 11:23 AM 07-14-2011
Hi, I would like to introduce myself and ask a few questions. I am from Eastern PA and have been smoking cigars for at least 5 years now, but more so over the last two or three years and have decided I need to learn a little more. I mainly purchase from Cigars International since their stores are close to me and they have a BIG selection and good sales. I’ve tried several samplers from them over the years and that is mostly what I have smoked until the last year or two. Here is some of my favorites, barring the Cubans I had while in the Carribbean since they are in a different class. I tend to stick with robusto vitollas since I prefer a larger ring gauge, usually 48-52 or so and the 5” range seems to last long enough, but not too long. If I am sitting out with friends have a drink or playing golf I will go for something in the 6” range.

I also just recently got my first real humidor. I had a little 25 count that came with a sampler and I could only ever get like 10-15 in it. It didn’t hold humidity well and probably ruined several sticks. My new one is a 100 count and I have about 70 in it now with plenty of extra room and it is sitting steady at 72-74% and 73-76F. A hair above ideal, but this time of year it’s the best I can get. It’s been really humid lately and if I keep the house any cooler than about 73 the AC runs constantly. Come fall I think it should sit right where it needs to. I also am into woodworking and have lumber waiting for a new table saw to build a humidor.

I am looking for a morning cigar now and could use some help with what I might like. I tend to like medium to medium-full with the occasional fulls, but those ruin everything else for the day if I have one in the morning. I am looking for a mild or mild-medium that will suit my tastes. I usually like to stay in the $5-$7 range so they are not cheap junk, but not wallet drains either. Here is some of my favorites, barring the Cubans I had while in the Caribbean since they are in a different class.

Man O’ War- I’ve tried all of their series. The standard line is a good cigar in my opinion, I know some think they are just hype, but I like the taste and the quality is good. For $5-$7 they are pretty decent. The Virtue’s did not do much for me, but I tend to go with a medium or medium-full cigar. The Ruination was better than the standards, but I think are getting a little overpriced for the difference. The Armada was a great cigar and very consistent, I enjoyed it thoroughly but this was my first expensive stick so I have nothing to compare it to. Is it worth $20, probably not but I don’t really know. What makes a well known $20 cigar worth more than the Armada?

Punch-These were my first favorites and I still really like them. For $3 to $4 you can’t go wrong and I think it is still a great tasting cigar. I prefer the Rare Corojo over the standards.

Gurkha-I have pretty much no use for. I always have burn problems, and they just never seem to hit their sweet spot.

Nub Plus Habano- I just picked these up and haven’t tried them yet, but my friend swears by them. Again, I have read this is a hype cigar, but I got these at $3.75 a piece so it was worth a shot.

Diesel- These will be a mainstay in my box. Being shorter cigars you are not getting as much burn for the money, but the flavor makes up for it in my mind.
[Reply]
Blak Smyth 12:00 PM 07-14-2011
I too live in Eastern PA, I have been smoking much less than you and have not made my first trip to CI in person yet. I have done most of my ordering on Cbid.
I really enjoy the Diesels, Nubs and love the Man O' Wars.
I also really like the Carlos Toranos Signature and the Graycliff 1666.
So far those are some of my favorites.

I recently picked up some Devil's Weed, $1 smokes that are not terrible, but if you can afford $3-4 stick everyday I would try to stick to the stuff we both mentioned.
[Reply]
Doctorossi 01:08 PM 07-14-2011
I like cigars of all different strengths, but it so happens that most of the NC robustos I like tend to be on the stronger-flavored side. However, I can heartily recommend the Padron 2000 (regular line robusto) and the Camacho Corojo Monarca. The Camacho is actually "strong" by most folks' definition, but I find it to be a particular flavor of "strong" that doesn't adversely impact your tastebuds over the rest of the day.
[Reply]
CoreyD 01:29 PM 07-14-2011
For morning medium full cigar days I like to grab a Joya de Nicaragua stick, doesn't matter what kind they all good. If I want a lighter taste I partake in a La Gloria Cubana. any of the LGC NC's to me are good tasting. If I really want a small kick in the am I'd grab a La flor dominicana air bender or dl 452 or dl660, any of pepins cheaper smokes are good am smokes and I found the Benchmade makes a good am smoke so doesn't an omar ortez. If you like real cheap a rp 2nd lancero able to be bought at famous for decent price is a good start too. Problem is if your like me you like to change up your am smoke and sometimes want a cheaper one and sometimes want to start out nice with an AVO or Kristoff or something.
Welcome to the forums by the way and be sure to check out the new inmate section and introduce yourself there.
[Reply]
kaisersozei 01:33 PM 07-14-2011
First, welcome to CA--you'll find a wealth of knowledge here if you poke around. Good stuff & good folks, glad to see you join.

To answer your question on morning smokes, my experience is to look for something with a Connecticut shade wrapper. Oliva Connecticut Reserve, Carlos Torano Casa Torano, or HdM Excalibur come to mind as good cigars early in the day. They pair well with coffee, and are flavorful with a nice, nutty sweetness but not the nicotine power or full-bodiness that throws your palette off for the day. Just a couple suggestions

Good luck and happy smoking!
[Reply]
Doctorossi 08:56 AM 07-16-2011
The EP Carillo Core Line Encantos would also make a nice morning robusto.
[Reply]
Up