Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Strength as a function of time?
ApexAZ 02:08 PM 11-16-2011
I just finished a 5 Vegas Gold Maduro. Flavor-wise, I liked it, however it was a little on the strong side for me. Very peppery with what I assume is a high nicotine content. You almost feel your tongue go numb and you feel your stomach start to feel heavy.

So I'm wondering, if I buy some of these and let them sit for a year, will the strength diminish over time to give me a milder smoke? I've read that aging maduros doesn't have as much impact since the leaves are already fermented for longer.

Thoughts?
[Reply]
DaBear 05:19 PM 11-16-2011
Some will argue it can, others not. Generally there are very few sticks I will age. From experience with others there's a right and a wrong age for everything. For example, I like my Padron 64 Annys fresh where they seem a little more powerful and flavorful, but I like Anejos with a little bit of age on em as the fresh ones a bit too rough around the edges flavorwise and notice no difference strength wise.

tl;dr I'd say it varies by the stick, but generally I notice strength subsiding with age.
[Reply]
LigaPrivadaT84 06:31 PM 11-16-2011
I was under the impression that the 5 Vegas Gold line were mild?
:-)

My thoughts:
Strength is subjective and based on many variables; I can handle an LFD DL after a nice steak, but would run away from the same cigar in the morning.

Additionally. I suggest you stay away from La Flor Dominicana Double Ligero and Joya de Nicaragua.
:-)
[Reply]
Bax 06:52 PM 11-16-2011
It's been my experience that age will cut down the strength of a cigar but it may or may not improve the taste. If you find a cigar that you like the taste of but it's just a little too strong for you then age them and see if you like them. If you don't like it in the first place then aging may not help you.
[Reply]
Drez 06:57 PM 11-16-2011
Originally Posted by Bax:
It's been my experience that age will cut down the strength of a cigar but it may or may not improve the taste. If you find a cigar that you like the taste of but it's just a little too strong for you then age them and see if you like them. If you don't like it in the first place then aging may not help you.
+1

ive found the 5 vegas gold maddy to be mild to me. try laying them down for a bit.
[Reply]
ApexAZ 07:04 PM 11-16-2011
Thanks guys, I'll give it a shot.
[Reply]
Up