Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Retrohaling
fencefixer 09:22 PM 06-30-2012
I had smoked cigarettes for 15+ years so retrohaling has never been a problem for me. However I discovered a different kind of retrohaling on accident. What I've been doing for the last month is, I take a good hit off of the cigar, then "compress" it in mouth with my tongue and cheeks, swirl it around etc. and instead of retrohaling ~50% previously before it got uncomfortable, I can exhale almost 90% through my nose.

Not only does it take the edge off this way, but also the subtle flavors become more dominant for me. I've since revisited cigars I've previously had and noticed flavors I had missed out on.

Surely this technique is known to most of you and it has a particular name, however since I'm still a noob I figured I'd share; maybe someone can take something away from it.
[Reply]
lenguamor 10:09 AM 07-01-2012
I'm just glad we're not calling it...that other name anymore.
[Reply]
oooo35980 10:45 AM 07-01-2012
Are you talking about letting the smoke cool before shooting it through your nose? Or something else? I have a tough time retrohaling even when I swish the smoke around and only retrohale a little of it, sensitive sinuses I suppose.
[Reply]
JJG 03:18 PM 07-01-2012
The nose exhale never worked for me. Instead, I let the smoke sort of drift into my nostrils as I exhale slowly through my mouth. I get all the nuanced flavored and what not, without any harshness. I recommend trying it.
[Reply]
fencefixer 07:09 PM 07-01-2012
It's quite possible that it has something to do with cooling the smoke down.

Sitting here herfing with Francis I just told him about this and even he was surprised. :-)
[Reply]
Ogre 07:10 PM 07-01-2012
Originally Posted by lenguamor:
I'm just glad we're not calling it...that other name anymore.
Snorting????:-)
[Reply]
spectrrr 02:28 PM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by fencefixer:
It's quite possible that it has something to do with cooling the smoke down.

Sitting here herfing with Francis I just told him about this and even he was surprised. :-)
My sinuses are pretty sensitive and I typically cannot retrohale hardly any of the last 1/3, maybe even 1/2 of a cigar. Cooling the smoke is part of the equation, but I found that there was something else at work as well.

I found that even on the last 1/4 of the cigar, if I created a pocket of pressure in my mouth while swirling the smoke slightly (only for ~1 second) and then exhaled through my nose, I could send it all through my nose with no irritation.

BUT at the same time, I found that my MOUTH was left with a slightly biting, almost bitter flavor. It seemed that most of the harsh or biting characteristics of the smoke were deposited on the inside gums of my mouth when compressed and forced against the gum walls.

All in all, I'll be experimenting with it more to hunt for flavors - I wouldn't do it with every puff, but occasionally I think might prove useful in searching for flavors I otherwise could not have picked up due to my sensitive sinuses.

Originally Posted by JJG:
The nose exhale never worked for me. Instead, I let the smoke sort of drift into my nostrils as I exhale slowly through my mouth. I get all the nuanced flavored and what not, without any harshness. I recommend trying it.
I've been known to do this inside, thrusting my head forward just a little to pull back in some of the exhaled smoke, I get excellent flavors this way.... but it doesn't work well for me outside, or even inside with a good fan pulling it up and out too fast.
[Reply]
icehog3 02:51 PM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by Ogre:
Snorting????:-)
Snorking. Been doing it for years, as have most of the CC smokers I know.
[Reply]
bobarian 03:26 PM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by icehog3:
Snorking. Been doing it for years, as have most of the CC smokers I know.
:-) Its hardly worth smoking a Cuban cigar without exhaling through the nose. Cant even imagine some of the cigars we smoked last weekend without the benefit of snorking. :-)
[Reply]
icehog3 03:34 PM 07-03-2012
Originally Posted by bobarian:
:-) Its hardly worth smoking a Cuban cigar without exhaling through the nose. Cant even imagine some of the cigars we smoked last weekend without the benefit of snorking. :-)
We was a couple of snorkin' fools, weren't we? :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 03:44 PM 07-03-2012
:-) Ya!
[Reply]
Up