Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>Training taste buds.
ApexAZ 04:35 PM 02-11-2012
Do you try to limit the retrohale? I try and blow most out through the mouth while letting some out through the nose. Maybe about 1/3 through the nose.
[Reply]
oooo35980 04:57 PM 02-11-2012
I read somewhere to exhale 80-90% of the smoke then start the retrohale, unfortunately it isn't an exact science, sometimes I get out of it with a mild sinus irritation, sometimes my eyes tear up, and sometimes it feels like an m-80 just went off in my head. Either way it isn't pleasant, tolerable most of the time, but never pleasant.
[Reply]
lenguamor 05:55 PM 02-11-2012
Something I forgot to mention but it's important: purge.

Every few puffs, purge the cigar. You'll find that it helps clear out a lot of the charry/burned tastes that can occur as a result of lighting or re-lighting.

Purge, then sip—then retrohale. Try that and see if it doesn't make "nose smoking" a whole new experience for you.
[Reply]
wayner123 07:56 PM 02-11-2012
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
I read somewhere to exhale 80-90% of the smoke then start the retrohale, unfortunately it isn't an exact science, sometimes I get out of it with a mild sinus irritation, sometimes my eyes tear up, and sometimes it feels like an m-80 just went off in my head. Either way it isn't pleasant, tolerable most of the time, but never pleasant.
You should read that third link I posted and give it a try.
[Reply]
Sonic04GT 09:48 AM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by oooo35980:
I enjoy the smoke they just don't seem to remind me of anything but tobacco and smoke.
Amen brotha, amen. I've had about 30 cigars and all I really taste is tobacco, unless I'm smoking an infused cigar. I can tell the subtle differences to at least say what I don't like. I've only had like 2 cigars though that I could say I actually didn't like.
[Reply]
J.Rawls 10:02 AM 02-13-2012
The retrohale is very important in discerning tastes and flavors because of the connectivity of perceived tastes and smell. The two are connected to discern thousands of different flavors,.....if you are to eliminate one or the other the flavor spectrum is diminished substantially. Without retrohaling or using your sinus cavity, one is pretty much left only tasting the basic astebud stimuli such as sweet, bitter, sour, salty, and umami. Just using the tongue will limit your ability to discern flavors. It's a medical fact.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 10:19 AM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by ApexAZ:
Do you try to limit the retrohale? I try and blow most out through the mouth while letting some out through the nose. Maybe about 1/3 through the nose.
I expel 70-90% through the nose. Depending on the cigar. It has become involuntary and I can't not do it anymore. Full, deep, rich flavors become very present. I know it burns but the more you do it, the less it burns. I very rarely find a cigar that burns anymore.

And yes J.Rawls, you are 100% correct. We would be screwed without our olfactory system.
[Reply]
wayner123 11:08 AM 02-13-2012
Retrohaling is NOT the only way to get the desired results from olfactory senses. Furthermore, if you really want to get scientific with it, orthonasal actually stimulates more.

NCradioman, we have had this same discussion before: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...light=olfac%2A

It's not a matter of if it works. It's a matter of how well it works. Especially in some people with sensitive sinuses, or allergies. Another aspect of the problem, is that if the mental link of that "flavor" is not there, no amount of retrohaling will increase the chances of naming that flavor.
[Reply]
oooo35980 11:35 AM 02-13-2012
Originally Posted by wayner123:
Retrohaling is NOT the only way to get the desired results from olfactory senses. Furthermore, if you really want to get scientific with it, orthonasal actually stimulates more.

NCradioman, we have had this same discussion before: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...light=olfac%2A

It's not a matter of if it works. It's a matter of how well it works. Especially in some people with sensitive sinuses, or allergies. Another aspect of the problem, is that if the mental link of that "flavor" is not there, no amount of retrohaling will increase the chances of naming that flavor.
You might be right about the mental link thing, I'm the type of guy that says things like "you know, that guy from that movie" all the time and I can remember faces no problem but can never remember names or where I know people from. My brain is a bit fried from all the heavy drink in I did in my early twenties.

That being said if there is a way to get the effect of retrohaling without the pain I'm game for it. Retrohaling is easy to do and makes the cigar taste different but it is still very unpleasant. For me anyway.
[Reply]
kuzi16 07:23 PM 02-13-2012
to me it is all about understanding flavors themselves. how can you tell if there is a hazelnut flavor if you have no idea what a hazelnut tastes like.

get yourself familiar with common flavors in cigars.

pay attention to your food and drinks. dont just eat and drink them. actively taste them.
[Reply]
Reaver2145 01:01 PM 02-14-2012
Do you cleanse your pallet before you smoke as i find with some of the more mild sticks such as el ray de mundo,sancho panza,some of the hoyo line if i eat a few salted dry crackers and have a small glass of club soda with a lemon twist it really helps bring out the flavours.
[Reply]
oooo35980 01:05 PM 02-14-2012
I usually use pure clean water when I smoke, I haven't ever tried saltines but I might now that you mention it, it does make sense.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up