Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Old Henry maduro corona
Don Fernando 03:35 AM 01-11-2011
Old Henry is a Don Pepin made cigar that is sold exclusively by Holts, I smoked a few in the past but never this 5½x44 corona. A friend gave me this cigar and here are my thoughts

Like I said in the older reviews, this band is so ugly that it starts to get pretty again. The wrapper is dark and leathery, shiny and oily and almost without veins. The construction feels good. The predraw is fine and tastes like peppery raisin.

I taste pepper, leather and earth, Cubanesque even but with a twist. The palate of this cigar reminds me of the famous Bolivar blend as far as a non Cuban cigar can copy Cuban flavors that is offcourse. I also taste that maduro sweetness and after an inch even a mild chocolate on the background.

After a third I taste mainly an earthy flavor with some chocolate. Leather and pepper have disappeared and now this cigar is nothing like a Cuban anymore. I get a mild herbal flavor too and the aftertaste is spicy. Halfway I taste more chocolate and less of the earthy flavor, the spiciness is stronger. After two thirds I taste a peppery earthy flavor with some chocolate.

This cigar has a smoke time of an hour and ten minutes. The draw was good and the smoke was thick and plenty. The ash is quite dark and reasonably firm. The burn is great. This cigar is full bodied and full flavored.

Would I buy this cigar again? I might need to get myself another sampler.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 7 / 10
Aroma third part: 7 / 10
[Reply]
BigAsh 07:31 AM 01-11-2011
I love Old Henry!....Spot on review Ferdie!
[Reply]
HollywoodQue 07:34 AM 01-11-2011
Great review, I may grab a sampler also, and yes, the label is truly not very attractive.
[Reply]
jesseboston81 07:34 AM 01-11-2011
Love reading your reviews, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on the band--who couldn't love that face?!
[Reply]
kelmac07 07:36 AM 01-11-2011
Love these...in any size!! :-) :-)
[Reply]
BigAsh 07:46 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by jesseboston81:
Love reading your reviews, but I'm going to have to disagree with you on the band--who couldn't love that face?!
See Ferdie's other reviews for "old girlfriend" references....:-)
[Reply]
htown 07:50 AM 01-11-2011
Might have to try one of these.
[Reply]
Dunkel 07:56 AM 01-11-2011
OH maduros are very tasty.
[Reply]
jmsremax 08:36 AM 01-11-2011
I just did a search for this cigar and I can't believe you just reviewed it today! I will be in Philly this weekend and I think I need to stop in Holt's even though my friends don't smoke. :-)
[Reply]
Don Fernando 10:00 AM 01-11-2011
every visit to Philly should include a stop at Holts Jon.
[Reply]
jmsremax 10:07 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
every visit to Philly should include a stop at Holts Jon.
I hear this from the guys in Philly all the time.....unfortunately it's hard when my friends that live there don't smoke. I am going to make sure I at least stop in this time even if I can't sit down and have a smoke.
[Reply]
dannysguitar 11:31 AM 01-11-2011
Nice review. These are the high noon special, but they're the Bully 6X60 size. Not a fan of that size...
[Reply]
Don Fernando 11:56 AM 01-11-2011
Originally Posted by jmsremax:
I hear this from the guys in Philly all the time.....unfortunately it's hard when my friends that live there don't smoke. I am going to make sure I at least stop in this time even if I can't sit down and have a smoke.
next time, take a few hours off from your non smoking friends and meet up with the Philly crew.
[Reply]
Up