Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
General Discussion>Transporting A 42" Plasma TV
icehog3 10:24 AM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by jjirons69:

I had to sign a waver when I bought my last TV that I would transport it home upright - otherwise the warranty was void.
Me too....that says something right there.
[Reply]
AlohaStyle 10:45 AM 06-09-2011
I personally would only move it upright... especially with a 5 year old tv. Why put the added stress on the tv?

With that said, I took it to an extreme when I bought my 50" tv 3 years ago!?! I live in Washington state where there is almost 10% sales tax. I was traveling to Portland where there is no sales tax so I looked online for a great deal on the tv I wanted, called a Portland store to see if they would price match and they did, and I bought my tv down there to save on the tax which was substantial. But what happens? The damn tv didn't fit upright in my Ford Escape! I didn't know what the hell to do since I was 150 miles from home so long story short, I ended up renting a U-haul trailer which still saved me a bunch of money!?! LOL
[Reply]
ir13 11:09 AM 06-09-2011
If you move it upright, be careful with the stand that the TV is on, most of them are made of plastic and can break very easily. They come off with a few screws normally and alleviate the breaking problem. I usually wrap the TV in a comforter and transport it vertical securing it with the seatbelts.

But thats my :-)
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 11:13 AM 06-09-2011
I have transported mine on it's back, screen face down, on it's side and upright. However it would fit and I havn't had any problems.

Glad to help! :-)
[Reply]
BlindedByScience 11:15 AM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
For me, I would place it upright in the rear seat with the front facing forwards; place a lite sheet/blanket over the top protecting the screen; you can use the over-the-shoulder seatbelts to secure the television to the rear seat:-)
...yep. MarkinCA wrote my post for me....:-)
[Reply]
area51 11:25 AM 06-09-2011
I'd put it vertical between the front and middle seats and brace it that way...if it fits.
[Reply]
pnoon 11:26 AM 06-09-2011
Thanks everyone.
You've been a huge help.
Posted via Mobile Device
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 11:55 AM 06-09-2011
Peter, for what it's worth, I moved a 46" Visio LCD from L.A. to Vegas by laying it flat in the back of the wife's SUV. I laid a couple of comforters down to pad it and simply laid it on top. I made damn sure nothing else was around it that might fall on it or bump it.

No problems and the set now hangs on the wall of wifeys cave. :-)
[Reply]
Bill86 02:11 PM 06-09-2011
Moving blankets and bubble wrap over the screen, shrink wrap the whole thing and move it upright. I've done this 6 times now...maybe more.
[Reply]
shilala 02:27 PM 06-09-2011
It's been explained to me, and I buy it, that if you lay the tv flat the compounded bouncing can crack the screen. As in first there's the weight of the screen. Then it gets bouncing like a trampoline as you travel. Then if you hit just the right bump at just the right time, you get a screen-popper.
Odds are slim at worst that they'll break, but with my luck I try to stand them up.
I just brought a tv home today from Best Buy, a gift for Aunt Beverly. I stood it up. :-)
[Reply]
taltos 05:09 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by pnoon:
Thanks for all the feedback.
Mixed opinions here as well.

The set is 5 years old so I am willing to assume SOME risk.

Just haven't made up my mind yet.

If I go the upright route, what is the best way to secure it inside the SUV?
Posted via Mobile Device
Possibly the shoulder belt would secure it properly.
[Reply]
RGD. 10:05 PM 06-09-2011
In two weeks I will be moving my daughter home from college - and she has a less than six month old 42" LCD. I'll be pulling a U-Haul trailer but her TV will be wrapped in blankets and put in the back seat of my truck, upright, for the 5 to 6 hour trip.

Ron
[Reply]
jkim05 11:30 PM 06-09-2011
Just put it in the back seat and tell her to drive carefully. If necessary, move the passenger seat all the way back and put a pillow or something between it and the tv. It should be fine like that.
[Reply]
Mikepd 10:35 PM 06-10-2011
The difference between most TV's it seems people have moved here as compared to yours, is you are moving an older plasma TV. Basically plasma TV's use a gas (neon is common) sandwiched between two glass plates with some other layers in there to aid in powering and containing the gas. When the TV is laid in an orientation other than upright, you create a high risk of these layers moving or the glass being damaged. When any of this occurs, or you get a gas leak from a case fracture, the TV's picture will be diminished or inoperable at all.

Transport it upright strapped down so it can't move, but also do not over stress the restraints to cause other damage. I would say wrap it in towels or blankets and not to pile anything else on or against the television while it's being transported. It may sound extreme but plasma TV's are very risky to move.
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up