Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Backpacking guitars?
teotides 11:27 AM 06-12-2009
Are there any BOTL or SOTL musician/guitar players that own or have experience with the small backpacking guitars? I'm thinking about buying one and have only noodled on one or two in a music store. Are they a waste of money considering I'd be playing it infrequently or worth the investment?
[Reply]
kelmac07 11:42 AM 06-12-2009
If nothing else...it saves wear and tear on your good six string. Nothing worse that bringing your nice guitar out and it gets damaged.
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 11:48 AM 06-12-2009
For regular camping just bring a regular guitar. For backpacking, I would rather use the weight savings for more food or just less weight. :-)
Taylor makes a great 3/4 scale.
[Reply]
Roland of Gilead 11:49 AM 06-12-2009
My wife has a little Martin that she takes with her all the time. It's a lot smaller than her other Martins.

-Mark.
[Reply]
csbrewfisher 11:57 AM 06-12-2009
Matt, are you gonna actually use it while backpacking? If so, I've never seen one of the usual suspects that stays in tune or even has decent tone. If it's just to take camping, get an inexpensive guitar that can be damaged without causing heartburn.

FWIW, I consider the smell of smoke to be damage. I once took an Ovation out camping, and it was two years before the smell was gone from the instrument AND the case. That gave me heartburn.
[Reply]
tobii3 12:28 PM 06-12-2009
At the risk of really twisting this thread, my buddy has a tranjo that he always brings along when we go camping or whitewater rafting.

Yeah, a travelling banjo. Go ahead with the jokes.....

Tranjo??
[Reply]
kelmac07 03:08 PM 06-12-2009
Can anyone say "Deliverance"? Let me hear ya squeal like a pig boy!!!
[Reply]
The Poet 03:12 PM 06-12-2009
James Dickey!! Nice guy - for a redneck prick.
[Reply]
Up