Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Question
acruce 03:17 PM 07-31-2009
Will it damage my cigars if I put my desk top humidor in the fridge for a day? The wife and I will be out of town this weekend and she wants to put the AC up around 85 degrees so I was thinking of putting my humi in my fridge. What do you think?
[Reply]
Bruzee 03:20 PM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by acruce:
Will it damage my cigars if I put my desk top humidor in the fridge for a day? The wife and I will be out of town this weekend and she wants to put the AC up around 85 degrees so I was thinking of putting my humi in my fridge. What do you think?
I wouldn't think so if your humi is air tight. Therefore the fridge couln't suck out the moisture... I could be wrong, but that is my :-).
[Reply]
mugzy 03:24 PM 07-31-2009
Your all good. Many people actually use a cooler or wine refrigerator to keep their cigars.
[Reply]
Commander Quan 03:25 PM 07-31-2009
The fridge would probably be ok for the weekend, do you have a basement? It would probably be cool enough down there.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:27 PM 07-31-2009
IMHO, one weekend @ 85 wouldn't hurt the stogies anyway. I've left my dog rockets in an un-conditioned apt for a solid week at time, and they did not get any worse. :-)

Remember, 70/70 is an ideal, not a hard&fast rule. We're talking cigars here, not vaccine.
[Reply]
Kreth 03:31 PM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by mugzy:
Your all good. Many people actually use a cooler or wine refrigerator to keep their cigars.
The wine fridges used are thermo-electric, not with compressors like a normal fridge. I wouldn't risk it.
[Reply]
Ashcan Bill 03:33 PM 07-31-2009
I have a desktop sitting in a fridge at the house we're getting ready to move into. It's been there for about a month and a half now. I've recharged the beads once in that time, and the cigars are just fine.

I plan on leaving it there for another month before making the final move. No worries here. :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 03:34 PM 07-31-2009
Should be no problem. If you think your humi is not airtight, you could always wrap in a plastic wrap to restrict airflow but I think that is a bit over the top.

Enjoy the weekend!:-)
[Reply]
BC-Axeman 03:37 PM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by bobarian:
Should be no problem. If you think your humi is not airtight, you could always wrap in a plastic wrap to restrict airflow but I think that is a bit over the top.

Enjoy the weekend!:-)
:-)I'm paranoid and freeze my cigars if they are over 85 for very long.
[Reply]
The Poet 03:43 PM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by BC-Axeman:
:-)I'm paranoid and freeze my cigars if they are over 85 for very long.
I'm assuming this is out of fear for beetles. As most domestic distributors already freeze their cigars before they ship them, in order to kill the eggs, I think you are correct - you are paranoid. But hey - if it makes you feel secure, I see no harm. Just :-)

As for the - uh, non-domestic ones, well . . . . :-)
[Reply]
acruce 04:15 PM 07-31-2009
Thanks for the input. I guess I will throw them in the fridge.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 04:21 PM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by The Poet:
As most domestic distributors already freeze their cigars before they ship them, in order to kill the eggs, I think you are correct - you are paranoid. But hey - if it makes you feel secure, I see no harm. Just :-)

As for the - uh, non-domestic ones, well . . . . :-)
They do but it doesn't always prevent beetles from hatching as evidenced from many threads here. And yes, Habanos SA started freezing a few years ago.

FWIW, humidors are not meant to be totally air-tight. The good ones do allow for minimum air exchange.
[Reply]
acruce 05:03 PM 07-31-2009
Or should I take out my cigars and put them in zip lock baggies then in the fridge.
[Reply]
NCRadioMan 05:09 PM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by acruce:
Or should I take out my cigars and put them in zip lock baggies then in the fridge.
I should have added, I don't think you will have a problem for a few days. :-)
[Reply]
bigloo 05:14 PM 07-31-2009
A weekend at 85 should be ok. I would not put them into the fridge with all that moisture. I would be more worried about excessive moisture then the 85 degree temp.
[Reply]
SmokinApe 05:56 PM 07-31-2009
You and your cigars are doomed!!!
[Reply]
RottenZombie 06:18 PM 07-31-2009
I take my cigars out for a walk every few weeks,and I took them to 6 flags over Georgia last week.(but thats completely unrelated)You should be OK for a few days ether way.
:-):-):-):-)
[Reply]
Boomer 06:31 PM 07-31-2009
Just make sure you don't subject them to open bowls of onions, garlic or other aromatic items. Cigars have a tendency to absorb oders quickly. Blech!
[Reply]
DPD6030 08:10 PM 07-31-2009
I would say the fridge would work. I had to turn on my vino today at the temp in the basement read 71. Now my cigars are basking in 66 degrees again and 65 % humidity.
[Reply]
Up