Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Smoking in rental cars: do you?
Joan 10:29 AM 07-31-2009
Occasionally I read a passing reference to enjoying a cigar in a rental car. The last couple of times I rented (Hertz/Avis, PHX/DFW) I didn't even give it a thought since smoking prohibited in both and I follow the rules. (Sometimes)

Do you guys really go ahead and smoke in the rental car? I mean, I'd really like to as well, but losing 1500 clams of damage deposit for cigar smell/ash is a lot of nice cigars!

Thank yew. :-)
[Reply]
alley00p 10:50 AM 07-31-2009
Joan, when we went to Vegas to take part in ELVIS, my wife and I rented a mini-van from Budget. We both smoked in the vehicle, and even purchased a small ashtray from Walgreens to use while we were there. We arrived late in the evening, after dark, and it wasn't until 2 days later that we noticed a very small, faded "no smoking" sticker in the corner of the front windows.

At that point, we decided it was too late to worry about it, and we stopped and purchased a spray bottle of "Fresh Wave" at the local ACE hardware store. My friend, Glenn Haege, "America's Master Handyman" recommends this and uses it in his Cadillac XLRV to get rid of cigar smoke odor from the car and his clothes. We sprayed the van the night before we had to leave, and in the morning, the mini-van smelled better than it had when we picked it up. We just plan on traveling with a small spray bottle when we know we'll be using a rental vehicle somewhere. YMMV. :-)

:-)
[Reply]
ChasDen 10:53 AM 07-31-2009
Only if I buy the extended coverage
(some charge up to $200 in cleaning fees if they smell smoke).

Thrifty told me that was covered if you buy the extended coverage.

Chas
[Reply]
14holestogie 10:56 AM 07-31-2009
I crack the window and smoke away. :-)

Multiple times with different rental companies it has worked like a charm with no coverage and no extra charges. :-)
[Reply]
MedicCook 10:59 AM 07-31-2009
I have not had a rental car since I have been smoking cigars. My former boss would always smoke his cigarettes in the rentals though. Of course he would also smoke in the bathroom on airplanes and would always get non smoking rooms and smoke in them. :-)
[Reply]
cricky101 11:04 AM 07-31-2009
I never have, but someone must have smoked a goat in the last rental I had. Blech! Smelled horrible.
[Reply]
Joan 11:19 AM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by alley00p:
"Fresh Wave"

Woo! I'm going to get some of that and try it in the beemer first. Comes in handy 2oz Tee Ess Ay safe spray bottles!

THANKS! :-)
[Reply]
kydsid 11:33 AM 07-31-2009
Hmm last time I was in Vegas I rented a smoking car. I don't remember who it was with, I think Thrifty. Just like getting a smoking room, which ironically I don't ever do because they always smell so stale and nasty.
[Reply]
rack04 11:39 AM 07-31-2009
I do not smoke in no smoking in rental cars. I'm what you would call a rule follower.
[Reply]
Mugen910 11:42 AM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by rack04:
I do not smoke in no smoking in rental cars. I'm what you would call a rule follower.
prude!!!

but :-)
[Reply]
elderboy02 11:47 AM 07-31-2009
I had a rental for over a month last year b/c some asshat hit me on the highway. The rental was through Enterprise. They said that if they smelled even the slightest hint of smoke in it, they would charge me $150 b/c they then have to get it detailed. Sure enough, when I went to turn it in, the lady sat in the car to make sure it didn't stink.

It really wasn't a big deal to me b/c I don't smoke in my car anyways.
[Reply]
JJG 11:47 AM 07-31-2009
You could probably get away with smoking a few cigarettes, but a cigar? I'd be afraid to risk it.
[Reply]
icehog3 12:11 PM 07-31-2009
Joan, I have had a few "one-way" rentals the past couple years, and for what they charged me, I smoked until I turned green. :-)
[Reply]
Skywalker 01:34 PM 07-31-2009
You must be a member of the...
[Reply]
Joan 01:50 PM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by Skywalker:
Aw... you got me! :-)
[Reply]
Joan 01:52 PM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by rack04:
Huh. I guess you never get to use your safe word then. Bummer, dood. :-)

[Reply]
kydsid 01:56 PM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by Skywalker:

Does anyone else envision what the automatic recoil would do to that young lady when looking at that picture?
[Reply]
Don Fernando 01:56 PM 07-31-2009
When I rented the car for the US road trip, I specifically asked for a smokers car on the Budget website. They gave me a brand new 09 Chrysler with 5000 miles on the counter, but no "no smoking" stickers, so all 4 of us smoked cigars in there. Didn't get charged extra.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 02:18 PM 07-31-2009
Cannot believe no one has mentioned Ozium spray. This stuff works the best and gets rid of any and every smell :-)

You could also blow your smoke through a paper towel roll filled with snuggles dryer sheets :-)
[Reply]
Joan 02:32 PM 07-31-2009
Originally Posted by GreekGodX:
Cannot believe no one has mentioned Ozium spray. This stuff works the best and gets rid of any and every smell :-)

You could also blow your smoke through a paper towel roll filled with snuggles dryer sheets :-)
That's some wild party chit you got! Better pass that around! :-)

[Reply]
Up