Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>Setting off fire alarms
Steelergar 07:57 AM 07-29-2009
Was at one of the rooftop bars in charleston yesterday with a friend having drinks and smoking some gars. After I had an awesome cubana wrap to eat I went light my cigar but it was a little too windy so I went in the bathroom. As I"m toasting it in there the fire alarm goes off for the entire restaurant. I finished lighting my 601 blue label then walked out and apologised. The staff were pretty cool about it and made some jokes. But they couldn't turn off the fire alarms because they said the fire department has to do it, so we went to the upper deck part of the rooftop which has another bar and tables and no alarms going off. While were up their the barkeep tells me that the fire marshal was down there and wanted to speak to me. I went down there to find out it was a joke. Anybody else ever set off the fire alarms?:-)
[Reply]
skibumdc 08:20 AM 07-29-2009
No, but that's hilarious. Glad they busted your chops.

Sounds to me like you need a windproof lighter?
[Reply]
Steelergar 09:00 AM 07-29-2009
I have a colbri tailgate lighter that was gited to me that I'm not totally satisfied with.
[Reply]
King James 09:07 AM 07-29-2009
haha thats funny, good thing the bar was cool about it because I'm sure it could have went much worse if the management wasn't as cigar friendly. I can't say that I've ever set off a fire alarm from a cigar but I'm still young!
[Reply]
MedicCook 09:42 AM 07-29-2009
Good thing the spinkler system did not activate. :-)
[Reply]
St. Lou Stu 10:27 AM 07-29-2009
A little over a year ago I was at a week of business meetings in Troy, MI.
Well, we have a hospitality suite with booze and grub every evening.
I always bring tons of cigars and share with everyone who is interested.
One evening we got sick of going outside to smoke so we called down to the front desk to ask if we could smoke in the hospitality suite since we were spending a TON of cash with the hotel and had pretty much filled it anyway.
They said of course we could.
That's where things went downhill.
It seems that four or five cigars will set off the smoke detectors, and in a hotel that goes in the bad column.

Fire Marshall Bill was not a happy camper.

Again this year, after many drinks, we called the front desk.... same hotel... same staff.... they said yes.... we thought about it and remembered the year prior... even us drunkards had better judgement and refrained... well, mostly.... just one cigar at a time was lit. :-)
[Reply]
Up