Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>3 weeks left
Tredegar 06:35 PM 03-09-2009
Well, it's three weeks until the S-Chip taxes go into effect. I look at buying quite a few yardgars between now and then. Why? It's a math thing. The way I figure a yardgar will go up in price by 30-50% or more just because of the tax relationship with regards to it's retail price. What may be one dollar today may become two dollars April 1st. I am not so worried about higher priced cigars because the S-Chip is a 'per stick' tax and therefore the percentage of a price gain makes it seem less painful. Anyone else going with this plan?
[Reply]
14holestogie 06:48 PM 03-09-2009
Originally Posted by Tredegar:
Well, it's three weeks until the S-Chip taxes go into effect. I look at buying quite a few yardgars between now and then. Why? It's a math thing. The way I figure a yardgar will go up in price by 30-50% or more just because of the tax relationship with regards to it's retail price. What may be one dollar today may become two dollars April 1st. I am not so worried about higher priced cigars because the S-Chip is a 'per stick' tax and therefore the percentage of a price gain makes it seem less painful. Anyone else going with this plan?
If you're buyng online, it may already be too late. I've noticed prices have gone up at CI by upwards of 30% right after the bill was signed. Oh well.
That just makes the cc's even more attractive.
[Reply]
MedicCook 06:51 PM 03-09-2009
I don't think it will be much of an issue other than another inconvience tax we are hit with. The real losers in this are the roll your own cigarette people.
[Reply]
JJG 07:27 PM 03-09-2009
Originally Posted by 14holestogie:
just makes the cc's even more attractive.
:-)

I only buy the occasional NC singles anyway. gotta support my local guys!
[Reply]
karmaz00 10:45 PM 03-09-2009
just made some purchases from atlantic
[Reply]
troutbreath 05:17 AM 03-10-2009
Stocked up several weeks ago. I think I am done with shopping for a while.
[Reply]
Hardcz 05:46 AM 03-10-2009
When I'm out, I'm giving up cigars...... :-)
[Reply]
scoot 05:50 AM 03-10-2009
Originally Posted by Hardcz:
When I'm out, I'm giving up cigars...... :-)
Seriously? If you don't mind me asking, is it just the increased price, or are there other circumstances that are factoring in to your decision? It just seems a bit extreme to me, is all. Why not just scale back?
[Reply]
Hardcz 06:23 AM 03-10-2009
Originally Posted by scoot:
Seriously? If you don't mind me asking, is it just the increased price, or are there other circumstances that are factoring in to your decision? It just seems a bit extreme to me, is all. Why not just scale back?
Seriously....

Though I have a problem... see I have all these boxes of cigars... and it'll probably take me a good year or more to go through them.... so I have time on my side, though there's this issue I have. Getting a new box of cigars, opening it, cutting that plastic bag and smelling them is just so amazing..like Christmas morning. I end up finding some way to buy a box every 3-4 months.... I guess that keeps me from running out.

But seriously, when I'm out, I'm done!
[Reply]
MarkinAZ 06:30 PM 03-11-2009
Originally Posted by 14holestogie:
I've noticed prices have gone up at CI by upwards of 30% right after the bill was signed.
That doesn't seem to be quite fair to customers does it?!?:-) And its not even April 1st yet....
[Reply]
SmokinCozy 07:22 PM 03-11-2009
Originally Posted by MarkinCA:
That doesn't seem to be quite fair to customers does it?!?:-) And its not even April 1st yet....
Do you think they raised the prices so they could have a BIG sale right before? :-)
[Reply]
wrench turner 85 07:51 PM 03-11-2009
This S-chip is bocrap, Like I have said before the taxes from this WILL NOT SURPORT THE PROGRAM. Cigar and pipe smokers will cut back on buying and/or go threw other means to get what they want. And another thing retailers are not going to count every thing for the floor tax ether. I've been saying this for years IT'S TIME TO LOAD THE GUNS AND GO TO WAR, to take back are rights. Hears to you pres. obama and to all the a$$holes in congress that voted for this :-).
[Reply]
Chemyst 08:45 PM 03-11-2009
Bingo! My thinking, exactly.

I just bought a Vinotemp, too, so I can get
some boxes stored up. Don't know if the VT
will be up and running in time to beat the tax
increase.

I'm looking at CAO Ancient Warriors, Oliva Vs,
and other lower end smokes. What's another
$8-10 on a $250 box? But on an $80 box,
well that's re(g)(p)ressive!

Chemyst :-)