Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Oliva O maduro torpedo
Don Fernando 11:47 AM 10-21-2009
The Oliva O maduro is a Nicaraguan puro and both the filler and binder are from the same Habano seed, but grown in different parts of the country, like Estelí, Condega and the Jalapa valley.

The super dark, almost black, Connecticut broadleaf wrapper is oily and smooth, there are hardly any veins visible. This huge belicoso feels well constructed and has an aroma of sweet wood. The predraw is fine, dry and mild peppery.

I can taste a nice sweet coffee flavor and after an inch some chocolate too. These flavors stay with me for a while and after a third I can also taste a bit of hay through the coffee. The chocolate gains some strength but the flavors are medium at most.

After 2/3rd the cigar gets a bit spicy with a chocolate aftertaste. The chocolate is replaced by some mint right before the cigar dies.

I get plenty of smoke, at first the smoke is thin but it gets thicker after 2/3rd of the cigar. The ash is quite dark and firm. The draw of this medium bodied, medium flavored cigar is fine, just as the burn.

Would I buy this cigar again? No, I like other Oliva blends better.

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 6 / 10
Burn: 7 / 10
Aroma (first part) 7 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 6 / 10
Aroma (last part) 6 / 10
[Reply]
G G 11:49 AM 10-21-2009
Great review Ferdie.
[Reply]