Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Room 101
kaisersozei 06:56 PM 10-18-2009
Vitola: 323 (Toro 6x50)
Wrapper: Honduran Semilla 101
Filler: Honduras/DR
Binder: Honduras

Single Price = $8

Found these locally, and smoked one at today's VCM Herf in honor of av8tor152d/Jason at Winston's Humidor. Kevin's place is great, had wonderful company, and enjoyed watching football (except for my awful Redskins) while smoking this cigar.

Appearance & Construction
Overall, this cigar had a nice presentation. Smooth, coffee & cream colored wrapper, with no noticeable veins. From a distance, the black & silver band fooled people into thinking I was smoking a Triple Maduro. Tobacco was nicely bunched, perfect draw, the ash held for a long time, and the burn was straight enough. Never needed a touch-up or relight.
Score: 8

Flavor
Tingle of spicy pepper at the beginning gave way to a straight-forward leathery profile. The smoke was smooth, I'd judge the body to be medium. Based on other reviews, I anticipated chocolate. Unfortunately that never came. The finish was cedary and mild, and I did get a touch of sweetness on my tongue but it didn't have any distinct flavor to it. About midway, I started getting little bursts of nutty coffee, almost like chicory. They would be there on one puff, and then disappear for a few. This happened maybe 3 times. Up to that point, the cigar was almost too consistent and was starting to get boring. For about an inch, that nuttiness held my attention. It quickly disappeared, and then it was back to football.
Score: 6

Obligatory Crappy Cellphone Picture:

Overall
I'm glad I sampled this new offering, but I doubt I'll be buying more. There are just too many other sticks in this price range that I prefer. In fact, after it was finished (about 90 minutes later,) I was wishing I had picked up a cg:4 instead. This matches the illusione in edgy marketing & style, but doesn't come close in the areas that matter to me in a cigar.
Score: 7

Thanks for reading!
[Reply]
Veritas 11:25 PM 10-18-2009
Great review, as always. Thank you.
:-)
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:50 AM 10-19-2009
Nice review...thanks for sharing Gerard!!! :-)
[Reply]
OHRD 06:56 AM 10-19-2009
So would you say it's over-hyped? Anyone else had these?
[Reply]
Volt 07:13 AM 10-19-2009
Nice review Gerard. Although my first trip to Winston's, one thing I did notice is he keeps his humi at 66%. I usually hate smoking a fresh B&M cigar as spnges don't smoke well. At 66%, I could smoke one there if I had to. Looks like he may need more chairs soon though....
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 07:29 AM 10-19-2009
Thanks for sharing with us. I'm not much of a Camacho guy and especially since this is Dominican. I was gifted one but not sure if I would even try. Very nice review and picture bud.
[Reply]
poriggity 10:25 PM 10-22-2009
I've had 4 of these, and loved each one. I don't necessarily agree with the review, but that's why everyone's tastes are different, and this hobby is great!
Scott
[Reply]
Up