Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
All Cigar Discussion>What makes you pick a cigar?
Cigarcop 07:22 PM 12-27-2008
I'm curious what makes you purchase a cigar, what lures you in, someone's reviews, your own curiosity, how it looks sitting there in the box at the local B&M???
I mean their like women, something attracts you to them or pushes you away, you don't know their personalities yet, you haven't spent any time with them..what is it for you?
[Reply]
DrDubzz 07:29 PM 12-27-2008
reputation of blender/producer, appearance, components (cameroon vs. corojo etc), mood.

a lot of things really, price sometimes is a factor as well
[Reply]
Lee 07:30 PM 12-27-2008
I've been reading the reviews in here and looking for those sticks that are getting good ones. Many times, at a good B&M, the proprietor will recommend something that looks good and I'll pick that up as well.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 07:32 PM 12-27-2008
past experience with that marca, or if someone with simlilar likes suggests it.
[Reply]
Silound 09:45 PM 12-27-2008
I smoke everything we stock at the shop. As an employee, I assume it's my job to be able to provide at least a moderate amount of knowledge about every cigar we stock. At the very least I can say "I don't care for it, but I picked up some hints of blah, and it was a very blah type of stick."

As far as anything outside of work, I like to sample lots of new things, especially that which others tell me good things or that I read good things about. I'm not always picky about new sticks just because of blend or shape or look. I smoked 3-4 Rolando Reyes products simply to know what they were like.

No, I won't smoke a Cremosa, and yes I'm somewhat of a prick given that I'm currently challenging two other BOTLs to smoke a ton of turd sticks :-)
[Reply]
Bruzee 11:29 PM 12-27-2008
I go alot by word of mouth. I respect and trust your opinions, aswell as my no-CA friends. I also try the different sticks from the same brand of ones I have already tried and liked. :-)
[Reply]
bobarian 01:40 AM 12-28-2008
I dont often go to the B&M any more, but when I do its pretty much impulse. Something I have smoked in the past and enjoyed. Something about which I remember a brother had good things to say. Always willing to try something new from a blander I liked in the past.
[Reply]
RGD. 06:17 AM 12-28-2008
My purchases are based on how short the skirt is or how much cleavage is displayed in the advertisements in Cigar Aficionado.

:-)

Ron
[Reply]
DKPRLP 09:59 AM 12-28-2008
After 40 yrs of smoking I pretty much stick to what I like. ( Long & strong )
Smoking 4-6 a day it's hard to keep the budget to under $ 200 a month..
[Reply]
TripleF 10:08 AM 12-28-2008
Money, or lack there of.

If money weren't the main restraint I'd smoke 1964 PAE's all day long.
[Reply]
ucla695 06:38 AM 12-29-2008
It depends. If I'm feeling adventurous, I'll read reviews and look for profiles that I think will suit my palate. Otherwise, I'll buy something that I know I'll like.
[Reply]
acarr 08:50 AM 12-29-2008
I read reviews and go from a process of elimination. Usually, I just exclude most and come to a decision. There are certain brands I just don't care for and eliminate them from the list. Then there are always the ones on the gotta try list that I pick up from time to time. Usually from taken from a review or the gar just looks like it will taste good.
[Reply]
bonjing 09:20 AM 12-29-2008
Before i would just go into the B&M look around see if anything catches my eye, look of the box, the band. I also ask to see what the employee suggests. I now mainly go by what everyone here talks about and recommends.
[Reply]
Footbag 09:28 AM 12-29-2008
I tend to pick a manufacturer, either by recommendation or just interest. If I like the brand, I work my way through the vitolas.
[Reply]
troutbreath 09:48 AM 12-29-2008
I like the reviews on here, and then there are certain makers that I have found that I seem to like everything they do.

Beyond that, I go for eye-candy. If it looks interesting and I haven't tried it, I'll pick up 2 and see how they smoke. I look at the wrapper and construction, presentation, price point and vitola size. If it's pretty, it may have to go home with me, even for just a one night stand.
[Reply]
Studebaker 11:00 AM 12-29-2008
I go on the reviews on Dogwatch and recommendations from my B&M. I like trying new brands and will just tell the B&M owner what flavor profile and price range I'm looking for. His recommendations hardly ever disappoint.
[Reply]
Scottw 11:18 AM 12-29-2008
The rep.of the producer as well as what I have read/heard about the cigar.
[Reply]
Mugen910 11:36 AM 12-29-2008
Rep.Rating.Price.Mood.
[Reply]
Up