Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Discussion>Good pipe blends...
badbriar 09:59 PM 12-15-2014
Here are some good pipe blends for newer pipe enthusiasts to look into. Bear in mind that these are just my :-). Since I'm not an aromatic fan, these fall into the English / Balkan side. Also a lover of nice smokey Latakia!
McClelland - Legends & Wilderness, Old Dog, Scottish Mixture
GL Pease - Odyssey, Sextant, Maltese Falcon, Meridian
Balkan Saseni
Dunhill - Nitecap (full body), mm965, London Mixture
Esoterica - Margate and, of course the ever elusive, Penzance
MacBaren - any of the HH series.
*watch the other MacBaren tobaccos, especially the Virginias and aromatics, as they tend to have a good bit of bite.
:-). :-). :-)
[Reply]
The.Sheepdog 08:05 AM 12-16-2014
The only non aromatic I have had to date is Squadron Leader. That is good stuff you should not miss.
[Reply]
Col. Kurtz 08:44 PM 12-16-2014
I've been digging the London mixture. Gaslight was a very nice one as well. I only had about three bowls worth from a sample provided by smokingpipes, but it was very tasty. I swear I could taste buttered popcorn in that one.
[Reply]
WhiteMamba 08:56 PM 12-16-2014
Originally Posted by Col. Kurtz:
I've been digging the London mixture. Gaslight was a very nice one as well. I only had about three bowls worth from a sample provided by smokingpipes, but it was very tasty. I swear I could taste buttered popcorn in that one.
I'm not sure I would want buttered popcorn flavor while smoking a pipe :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
RevSmoke 02:17 PM 12-17-2014
Originally Posted by The.Sheepdog:
The only non aromatic I have had to date is Squadron Leader. That is good stuff you should not miss.
Thought you had a bowl of Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake every day?

If so, that is not an aromatic, it is a VaPer.
[Reply]
The.Sheepdog 02:48 PM 12-17-2014
Originally Posted by RevSmoke:
Thought you had a bowl of Hearth & Home Anniversary Kake every day?

If so, that is not an aromatic, it is a VaPer.

Well slap me silly and call me doggie! Then it is a VaPer and a good one cause I love it! I love the smell of it even before packing a pipe. I had two bowls of it today!
[Reply]
RevSmoke 12:22 PM 12-18-2014
Well slap me silly and call me doggie! Then it is a VaPer and a good one cause I love it! I love the smell of it even before packing a pipe. I had two bowls of it today!
HAHAHA!!!

I thought you might be confused, but your just in puppy love?
[Reply]
The.Sheepdog 01:41 PM 12-18-2014
Rev I just like what I like. I tried Missisissippi River today and while it was smooth and soft to smoke it was boring to me. Its what I would smoke if I didnt have anything better and more exciting.

I also had C&D Autumn Evening and really liked it. I also tried a bowl of Lane's 1Q and it was also kind of bland. I guess lots of people like soft smooth cool boring smokes?

I think I will have to go back to Anniversary Kake tonight so I remember what good tobacco is like. Maybe it is time for me to get heavier in English blends?
[Reply]
Dave128 01:44 PM 12-18-2014
Everybody's tastes are different.

As Todd says - Smoke what you like and enjoy it.
[Reply]
badbriar 02:45 PM 12-18-2014
Maybe it is time for me to get heavier in English blends?...

Then try one of these... The Scottish Mixture is absolutely wonderful. Not quite as strong in vitamin N as Nitecap, but just as full in rich flavor. Probably the smoothest of the English-ish blends I've run across and my personal favorite. :-)

McClelland - Scottish Mixture
Dunhill - Nitecap (full body), MM965
[Reply]
RevSmoke 04:34 PM 12-18-2014
Rev I just like what I like. I tried Missisissippi River today and while it was smooth and soft to smoke it was boring to me. Its what I would smoke if I didnt have anything better and more exciting.

I also had C&D Autumn Evening and really liked it. I also tried a bowl of Lane's 1Q and it was also kind of bland. I guess lots of people like soft smooth cool boring smokes?

I think I will have to go back to Anniversary Kake tonight so I remember what good tobacco is like. Maybe it is time for me to get heavier in English blends?
Hey, all you are supposed to like is what YOU like.

I think 1Q is boring and bites like a rabid dog. I find lots of blends boring. But, to find what you like, you need to try a lot of blends.

If you like Anniversary Kake, it sounds to me like you enjoy VaPers (Virginia & Perique) blends. If that is the case, I will suggest a few for you.

Peter Stokkebye: Luxury Bullseye Flake, and Luxury Navy Flake
Escudo
Gawith & Hoggarth: Louisiana Flake
Samuel Gawith: St. James Flake
Cornell & Diehl: Night Train

These are just a few that might come close to having some of the characteristics of the Anni. Kake.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
[Reply]
The.Sheepdog 04:40 PM 12-18-2014
Thanks REv! I will put those on the list with that Mcclelland Scottish Mixture!
[Reply]
Up