Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Island (The other ones) Reviews>Liga Privada #9 belicoso oscuro
Don Fernando 02:40 AM 10-17-2010
What a single cigar can do. The Liga Privada changed my whole opinion on Drew Estate cigars. After smoking the Flying Pig and the Robusto oscuro, Liga Privada became one of my favorite brands and that while I would not touch anything made by Drew Estate before, due to their infused cigars which I don't like at all. I decided that the Liga Privada #9 Belicoso oscuro deserved a review too, so I picked the last of my stash of 6x52 belicosos from my humidor, got myself a bottle of water, grabbed the palio and the blazer, sat down, cut the cigar and enjoyed.

I just love the simple band. The wrapper is dark and oily, shiny and smooth and only has a few veins. The construction feels good and the predraw is fine. I taste a mild raisin flavor. The cigar has a strong barnyard and straw smell.

I taste a full coffee flavor with some wood and after a quarter of an inch the coffee makes place for leather. After a third I taste a nice mixture of cedar and leather. The cedar becomes the dominant flavor and the leather becomes more of an aftertaste. Again this cigar reminds me of a tweaked Opus X, same sort of cedar flavor but less complex. The feeling in my mouth is dry.

A little past halfway I also taste a mild walnut flavor and the cigar becomes a bit creamy. After two thirds the cedar becomes a bit sweet.

This cigar lasted me for an hour and forty-five minutes. The draw was fine, just like the burn. The ash is very light, almost white of color and firm. I got plenty of smoke. This cigar is both full in flavor and full in body.

Would I buy this cigar again? Without a doubt!

Appearance: 8 / 10
Construction: 7 / 10
Draw: 8 / 10
Burn: 8 / 10
Smoke & ash: 7 / 10
Aroma first part: 8 / 10
Aroma second part: 8 / 10
Aroma third part: 9 / 10
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:26 AM 10-17-2010
Great review of a great stick Ferdie!! :-)
[Reply]
bscottskangum 10:45 AM 10-17-2010
Just had my first #9 on Thursday at the weekly VCM shed herf....good stick :-) good review!
[Reply]
BTcigars 01:21 PM 10-17-2010
Nice review, now you need to try the T52 and please try Chateau Real. Those Real's are a hidden gem.
[Reply]
hscmit 07:55 PM 10-17-2010
another good one

thanks
[Reply]
Don Fernando 11:02 AM 10-18-2010
Originally Posted by BTcigars:
Nice review, now you need to try the T52 and please try Chateau Real. Those Real's are a hidden gem.
they are both coming to the Netherlands this month. Already reserved one of the ten boxes of T52 flying pigs that make it over the ocean :-) it pays off to know the distributer :-)
[Reply]
Pass 11:28 AM 10-18-2010
Liga Privadas have quickly become a favorite of mine. Fantastic sticks. Great review as always, Ferdie!
[Reply]
Dave128 01:06 PM 10-18-2010
Had my first #9 last Wednesday. I'm pretty sure I can add it as my new favorite stick.
[Reply]
bigheadmark 07:13 PM 10-18-2010
YES!!! Chateau Reals are very very good! I picked up a box of them from JR when they had their catalog "mistake"...I wish I had bought more...they were like $65 for a box...they are beautifully constructed, with oily wrappers and plenty of creamy smoke

I have not tried the Liga Privadas yet. I can't wait to try em
[Reply]
BTcigars 08:44 PM 10-18-2010
Originally Posted by Don Fernando:
they are both coming to the Netherlands this month. Already reserved one of the ten boxes of T52 flying pigs that make it over the ocean :-) it pays off to know the distributer :-)
Yeah it sounds like you have the hook up!
[Reply]
Louistogies 10:09 PM 10-18-2010
Good review. I still need to try the liga line.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 01:57 AM 10-19-2010
Yeah it sounds like you have the hook up!
and the best thing, he's not only the distributer for Drew Estate, but also for Oliva, Padron, Fuente, Don Pepin Garcia, Tatuaje and some others. That's how I managed to get a box of The Face too :-)
[Reply]
BTcigars 02:41 AM 10-19-2010
Wtf! Im officially jealous now. Be sure to review the Face :-)
[Reply]
njstone 01:53 AM 10-21-2010
I agree ... the T52 is absolutely amazing, and the Chateau Real--particularly the maduro--is surprisingly good!
[Reply]
borndead1 05:03 PM 10-21-2010
I don't think Ferdie would like the Connecticut wrap Chateau Real. :-)
[Reply]
warren G. 10:16 AM 10-30-2010
Great review, a good buddy of mine doesn't smoke too often. When he do, he always reach for my no 9. I prefer the t52, but I get such a killer deal on the no 9.
[Reply]
lyle23 06:58 PM 11-01-2010
great review. i have one and i'm waiting to smoke it. i had the t52 and loved it.
[Reply]
OLS 04:47 PM 11-02-2010
Those Real's are a hidden gem.
Plus you get a free Fidel hat
[Reply]
akumushi 03:21 PM 11-23-2010
Had my first of these last night. It was a good cigar and your review is spot on.
One funny thing I noticed was that the wrapper was so oily and thick that it was
almost completely waterproof. I tend to drool on my stogies a little and instead
of a slight ring of moisture at the heap, my saliva just beaded up and wiped away
clean:-)
[Reply]
Up