Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>My great room project-built-in recessed entertainmet center
forgop 05:28 PM 11-22-2010
So, the hardwood floor is in and To make the best use of space, I'm going to build in an entertainment center in a closet and build shelving into the corner as well so the entire surface along the wall is flush.

I originally wanted to do something out of wood, but pricing for that approached $2500. I have a buddy that's going to help and this will be done out of drywall for less than $350 with him making most of it.

I already have the rear surrounds mounted and I will be adding 6 can lights into the room and changing the ceiling fan.

The system will have a 60" Mitsubishi TV, with Klipsch speakers all around, including my latest pick-up, which was a 12" Klipsch subwoofer for $100 on craigslist.
Attached: photo.JPG (79.2 KB) photo(2).JPG (72.7 KB) photo(3).JPG (78.8 KB) 
[Reply]
TonySmith 05:38 PM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by forgop:
The system will have a 60" Mitsubishi TV, with Klipsch speakers all around, including my latest pick-up, which was a 12" Klipsch subwoofer for $100 on craigslist.
I think you have chosen great speakers. Good luck with the project.
[Reply]
Chainsaw13 05:43 PM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by TonySmith:
:-)
[Reply]
Sancho Fuente 06:00 PM 11-22-2010
Word of advice from me helping a buddy do this, make sure everything is movable fairly easily. There is nothing worse then needing to plug in a new PS3/Blu-Ray/Surround Sound processor and needing to break out the claw hammer and new molding to get to the plug since you thought the 'picture-frame' install looked nice.

+3 on the speakers by the way. :-)
[Reply]
forgop 06:45 PM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by Sancho Fuente:
Word of advice from me helping a buddy do this, make sure everything is movable fairly easily. There is nothing worse then needing to plug in a new PS3/Blu-Ray/Surround Sound processor and needing to break out the claw hammer and new molding to get to the plug since you thought the 'picture-frame' install looked nice.

+3 on the speakers by the way. :-)
Yeah-

What I had in mind is leaving a gap for cords to pass through out of view. The closet depth is about 36", bit I'm only going to go back 18" deep so if I ever needed to get back there, I've got space to work. In a worse case scenario, I do have an attic wall behind all of it. :-)
[Reply]
forgop 06:48 PM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by TonySmith:
I'm using the same center channel I purchased in '93-the klipsch academy nthe fronts and rears are from their reference series. I love me some klipschorns, but I don't have the space/budget for them.
[Reply]
TonySmith 06:59 PM 11-22-2010
Originally Posted by forgop:
I'm using the same center channel I purchased in '93-the klipsch academy nthe fronts and rears are from their reference series. I love me some klipschorns, but I don't have the space/budget for them.
I bought some original Hereseys when I was in the service. La Scala's were double the money, $500 each, wish I would have grabbed a couple
[Reply]
14holestogie 03:03 AM 11-23-2010
I purchased the Klipsch Forte's 25 years ago and have never regretted it. Cost me a month's wages at the time. The cabinets have seen better days after sun bleaching and the like, but the sound has never disappointed. :-)
[Reply]
Chingas 04:36 AM 11-23-2010
Sounds like an awesome project. Keep the pics coming!
[Reply]
forgop 07:30 PM 11-24-2010
Here's what I tinkered around with today...drywall removal and started framing in the shelves on the left side.

I already decided to downgrade from a 12" sub to a 10" sub as I didn't want to make the bottom rack have to be 26" tall to fit it. I should have no problem getting rid of the sub and getting a different one.

I'm going to run through 2x4's a lot faster than I thought. :-)
Attached: shelves1.JPG (80.1 KB) 
[Reply]
forgop 05:29 PM 12-18-2010
Latest update...some finishing of the drywall and painting and it'll be done.
Attached: entctr.jpg (32.6 KB) 
[Reply]
Ogre 05:32 PM 12-18-2010
Damn, sweet job brother!
[Reply]
BigFrank 05:58 PM 12-18-2010
Looking good. I love projects like that.
[Reply]
Up