Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Motorcycle ?'s
GTsetGO 09:51 PM 09-11-2010
Well, since i will be receiving the cain chopper here in the near future. I have a few questions.

1 - who does everyone use for their insurance.

2 - what does everyone wear while riding.
[Reply]
markem 10:07 PM 09-11-2010
A good place to ask is where the motorcyclists are already hanging out:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=25512
[Reply]
Ratters 01:36 AM 09-12-2010
To answer the questions:

State Farm.

AGATT- All gear all the time. Shoei or Suomy full face helmet, Spidi suit or Alpinstars Jacket and Track Pants, Racer gloves, Sidi Vertigo boots. Seen too many people hurt to not wear as much protection as possible. I know the cruiser folks call us power rangers, but I'd rather be called names than get skin grafts.
[Reply]
Volt 05:25 AM 09-12-2010
I have used Progressive and currently use Allstate. None are really any better than the others except as to price.

As to the gear it's all a trade off. What do you want vrs what pain you can deal with to wear it.

1. Gloves are just smart at any time. If your going to bother weearing them, make sure they are thick enough to make a difference or why put them on.

2. Helments - to each his own. I have a compressed c6/c7 disc in my neck. A heavy full face does not cut it for me except when I ride in the rain. So I ride with a 1/2 helment so as to keep the pressure and pain down. Each helment has it's up and down points, problem is you don't know which type will help you most when you go down.

3. Boots - I always ride with heavy leather over the ankle boots. I have lost count of the times I have saved a sprained ankle because the boot supported me on a grease or rock slip. Also kept me from dropping the bike many times. This is the safety gear I wear the most other than a helmet.

4. Jackets - Again depends on what you can bear in the heat and cold. For the cold I wear my Cortech jacket in the 20's with no issues. I wear tourmaster overpants as well in the lower temps. Chaps/leather jackets my look bikerish but suck for warmth. They block the wind and that's about it.

5, For eye protection I have a perscription motorcycle glasses that I wear.
[Reply]
Pass 05:56 AM 09-12-2010
The stuff that you MUST use is pretty simple and straight forward.
Helmet (I wear 1/2 - nonDOT most of the time, and full face when it gets super cold - like 20deg)
Gloves - I wear fingerless gel gloves for grip
Heavy leather vest - You would be surprised at the number of rocks and debris this thing takes. Also helps keep the core warm.
Heavy Leather boots - ALWAYS wear over the ankle boots with good tread. ALWAYS. I prefer Red Wing motorcycle boots. I wear them every single day and even walk miles at work in them. They're awesome!

Outside of that it is all about what you can be comfortable in. I usually start wearing my Cortech denim jacket when it gets cool. Same with my leather chaps. Otherwise I don't usually wear one. Like they say, the colder it is, the safer I ride. lol.

If you do wear chaps/pants and jacket all the time. Make sure that you get ones with removeable liners and zipper openings for air. That way you're covered when it's hot out, but can still bundle up when it's cold.
[Reply]
newcigarz 06:35 AM 09-12-2010
Allstate.

Alpinestars boots, Alpinstars gloves, Arai Helmet, Ducati Tech-air jacket.

[Reply]
HK3- 06:58 AM 09-12-2010
Used Progressive for my last two bikes. For my new bike they wanted over $1,500.00 a year to insure me... :-) Tried All State since they handle my vehicle and they gave it to me for $276. Shop around, it's worth the time.

As for protective gear... For me it depends on the weather and where I plan to ride. If I am just hopping around town I don't normally wear the jacket (unless it's cooler out). Traveling on the interstate or plan to get down on some curves then sure the jacket is coming with.
[Reply]
floydpink 09:13 AM 09-12-2010
I use Progressive and a half helmet when I remember, which should be more often than I do.
[Reply]
gpugliese 09:17 AM 09-12-2010
Back when I used to ride I had Amica Insurance, and wore full race leathers, gloves & full face helmet all the time.
[Reply]
Starz26 09:30 AM 09-12-2010
Geico.

Cost me 250 for the first year. Did $4,000 damage to my bike in a little fall, went up to $265 the next year. The third year went down to $125....

But that is for a Harley, the monster may be a diff story but I am happy with their service.
[Reply]
kgraybill 07:42 PM 09-14-2010
American Modern Home insurance.

I wear a non d.o.t scull cap, jeans and t-shirt, boots, goggles.
Gloves, leather jacket and leather chaps when its cold.
[Reply]
jmsremax 07:50 PM 09-14-2010
As far as gear.....full face helmet, leather jacket, gloves, boots, typically jeans with shorts underneath when I arrived at my destination (all summer long). A little sweat is better than road rash. I like to tell my friends that want to get bikes or ride with little or no gear to drag their knuckles against the pavement and ask how that felt. Then I tell them try that at 30 mph and see what it's like. Needless to say I've convinced a few to get the proper gear. :-)

GL with the bike and be safe out there.
[Reply]
LasciviousXXX 09:44 AM 09-15-2010
Allstate for Insurance.... seems like a few people use them.

And I know I'm going to get good and flamed for this response but here's my riding gear:

Bandana
Sunglasses
Cheap gloves
Tshirt
Jeans
Boots

The weather here in AZ is usually hot as all hell so a jacket only gets used a couple months out of the year for me.
[Reply]
GTsetGO 10:20 AM 09-15-2010
yeah, i am a sissy. so i will be going with an armored jacket. full helmet that i already own for when i go drag racing. heavy jeans. gloves and boots
[Reply]
xlc12rf 10:26 AM 09-15-2010
I have foremost.

ATGATT. I have an Alpinestars Leather/Armored jacket with a CE back insert, SHOEI full face, A* gloves, Sidi Vertigo boots. I usually ride in jeans, but I also have the zip-in A* leather pants for when I'm feeling frisky.
[Reply]
shilala 10:33 AM 09-15-2010
I got comprehensive from Geico for around $250 for all year.
I wear whatever I think I need to keep warm, then take twice as much.
I really struggle with boots, I'm going to need to find some that let me feel the controls. I need to get a good jacket and chaps, too.
I wear a full face helmet. It's just preference. I won't get on a bike without my brain bucket. We always had dirt bikes since we were kids. After lots of wipeouts and face plants hill climbing, I got tired of my chin and face getting beat up.
[Reply]
Up