Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>The proto-electric companies offering deals
hotreds 12:31 PM 04-24-2010
Anybody have any opinion on these? They become your electric company, yet your previous company still bills you, services you, etc etc. The difference seems to be fairly substantial, but I'm afraid my current company will put me last in line for any problems I encounter. It also seems kinda sleazy for a company to walk in and take customers, with the previous company still having to do all the work/repairs, etc.

I guess this isn't a scam, but something doesn't smell quite right!
[Reply]
The Poet 01:16 PM 04-24-2010
Not exactly sure what you mean here, but my town has its "own" electric company, in that it buys power from a big utility at a discount, and passes a fair portion of that discount onto the citizens of this burgh. The borough has its own maintenance department for local repairs - blown transformers, etc. - and disruptions are normally over in a reasonable length of time. They have on occasion shut down sections of the town for upgrade repairs, but there is plenty of warning for these scheduled blackouts, and they are rare. In my 30+ years here, I can recall two.

As for "sleazy" . . . well, screw the Big Dogs.
[Reply]
awsmith4 01:19 PM 04-24-2010
What state do live in?

If this is due to deregulation then what the new company is is merely a marketer. Deregulation took place for natural gas in GA several years ago. In the Atlanta area for natural gas it is all run and serviced by Atlanta Gas Light; however, AGL does not handle billing. There are a multitude of gas marketers that act as middle men. All they do is collect the money and pay AGL. As far as service/repairs go AGL sucked before deregulation at getting out in a timely manner and they suck now
[Reply]
hotreds 03:24 PM 04-24-2010
Yes- this is deregulation. I've gotten these before but dismissed them out of hand, but with money fairly tight am taking a second look-still feel these guys are a bit sleazy since they don't really seem to do anything- Duke still seems to be the main actor here, the interloper just takes your $$$ and really does nothing. Dunno, that's why I'm kinda tempted but also hesitant!
[Reply]
awsmith4 04:33 PM 04-24-2010
Originally Posted by hotreds:
Yes- this is deregulation. I've gotten these before but dismissed them out of hand, but with money fairly tight am taking a second look-still feel these guys are a bit sleazy since they don't really seem to do anything- Duke still seems to be the main actor here, the interloper just takes your $$$ and really does nothing. Dunno, that's why I'm kinda tempted but also hesitant!
After deregulation took effect here you had a time limit to pick a marketer or the commission picked one for you, you may want to get on your state's commission website and see what the requirements are and what are your choices
[Reply]
Up