Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Roku VOD box for Netflix
Darrell 06:40 PM 01-06-2010
I was wondering if anyone is using the Roku Netflix streamer? If so, how do you like it? How is the Wi-Fi? I ask about Wi-Fi specifically because I want it in my garage. My laptop works fine out here for streaming movies, so I assume it will work.
[Reply]
GoatLocker 07:21 PM 01-06-2010
I like mine. The selection on netflix is pretty slim, but it adds some additional content above the "3 at a time" plan I have. I have not tried the Wi-Fi yet, as I had an extra network jack in my TV stand. HD content is a step up from DVD quality, the SD similar to DVD. Sound is OK, but I don't think netflix is streaming any souround formats yet, just stereo.
[Reply]
T.G 07:27 PM 01-06-2010
Originally Posted by GoatLocker:
I like mine. The selection on netflix is pretty slim, but it adds some additional content above the "3 at a time" plan I have. I have not tried the Wi-Fi yet, as I had an extra network jack in my TV stand. HD content is a step up from DVD quality, the SD similar to DVD. Sound is OK, but I don't think netflix is streaming any souround formats yet, just stereo.
Neat. Havent't followed the developent in a few years so I didn't realize that Wood & Netflix had finally enabled HD to the Roku.
[Reply]
AD720 07:48 PM 01-06-2010
It's awesome, tons of content (movies and TV shows like The Office, 30 Rock, Deadliest Catch, and many more), fast loading. Cons are that you have to use a computer to access your queue to search for and add new content.

If you have wireless N you might want to go with the upgraded model that has N for the extended range.

I also have a Blu-ray player with Netflix built in. :-)
[Reply]
AD720 07:49 PM 01-06-2010
Originally Posted by GoatLocker:
I've never heard that before...where did you see that?

From CNet:

Video streaming to the Roku box is available on an unlimited basis to any Netflix subscriber on plans of $9 per month (one-disc-at-a-time) or greater. (Netflix says it's examining streaming-only pricing plans that would presumably be a bit cheaper.) And remember, of course, that anything you can't stream is still available to be mailed to you on DVD or Blu-ray within a day or two.

[Reply]
Darrell 09:12 PM 01-06-2010
Originally Posted by AD720:
I've never heard that before...where did you see that?

From CNet:

Video streaming to the Roku box is available on an unlimited basis to any Netflix subscriber on plans of $9 per month (one-disc-at-a-time) or greater. (Netflix says it's examining streaming-only pricing plans that would presumably be a bit cheaper.) And remember, of course, that anything you can't stream is still available to be mailed to you on DVD or Blu-ray within a day or two.
I think what the good Master Chief was saying is that it gives him more options for stuff to watch without having to worry about waiting for a DVD to arrive.
[Reply]
AD720 05:58 AM 01-07-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
I think what the good Master Chief was saying is that it gives him more options for stuff to watch without having to worry about waiting for a DVD to arrive.

Ahhhhhhh. Roger that.:-)
[Reply]
CigarNut 07:35 AM 01-07-2010
I have had one of the Roku boxes for about six months. It is really convenient and you are not limited to Netflix. It will also download from Amazon.

My only peeve with the box is that the FF and REW functions are a little clumsy.
[Reply]
GoatLocker 12:13 PM 01-07-2010
Originally Posted by Darrell:
That is what I meant, but there are a few titles that are available via streaming only. Mostly old/obscure stuff that was never released on DVD...
[Reply]
mariogolbee 12:53 PM 01-07-2010
I've been enjoying the streaming movies from Netflix for a couple of weeks now. I just use my 360 and can access my Que or browse from there. It seems to give me a better picture than my netbook or Mac too. I'm not sure how much this Roku box is but I know you have a 360. If you want it in the garage you may want to consider another 360 as an option. You can get them used for a pretty good price. In fact, I think RP guy's may still be up for sale in the WTS section.
[Reply]
Up