Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
Page 2 of 2
< 12
All Cigar Discussion>San Fran B&M Worth Trying?
Skywalker 07:21 AM 04-04-2011
Originally Posted by Dukeuni:
1:00 a.m.- long night, in a good way.

I went back to Occidental, only to talk to the owner and find out that the place was closed today because of a broken pipe in the basement. I guess there was no water up in the bar area. He recommended I go to 815.

Based on the prior statement that 815 only allows smoking in the outside area, I was not really looking forward too it that much, but I thought I would walk by there since it was only about 8 blocks away.

Let me tell you, 815 is a great place! Not many people at all when I got in. I noticed right away that this is not a "normal" porch. This really seems like a closed in area- some parts covered, lots of heat lamps, just a really nice area. On top of that, there is a side room off the porch that is completely covered, with nice couches to sit and smoke.

Shortly after I arrived another couple came in. I noticed pretty quick that the guy was carrying around a 10 count cigar caddy. We started talking, traded cigars, and ended-up hanging out for a good 4 hours.

The bar started to get filled up soon after we arrived. They had a latin salsa music band playing, and lots of folks dancing (most ladies were dressed-up).

The guy I hanged-out with, Nate, told me that he had been to Occidental each day this past week. He did not know about 815 until the owner also told him (right after I had left Occidental on my way to 815). Nate loved 815, and said if he would have known about it sooner he would have just been there each night with his wife Pam.

It was a great night, and now time for bed. I would have posted pictures, but my cellphone was dead for most of the night.
Wow! Looks like a new place for the BABOTL to check out!!!:-)
[Reply]
Dukeuni 10:25 AM 04-04-2011
Thanks for the heads-up on the 601 event. Sounds like a great thing to experience. Since I am from rural Eastern Oregon, I have never attended a B&M event before.

Hope to see you guys on Tuesday!
[Reply]
Mutombo 10:20 AM 04-05-2011
Originally Posted by Tarks:
Sorry for the threadjack but I am also curious. I booked a flight to San Fran for end of July. Was hoping to get a few cigars in at the occidental. I am not familiar with SF, never been. What part of town is the occidental? Would you recommend staying in the area? If so, what hotels would you recommend that are within walking distance to the occidental?

Sorry and thanks! :-)
Occidental is in the Financial District of the city, on the border of Chinatown. I actually wouldn't recommend staying in this section of town, it tends to clear out during the weekends at at night after all the business people go home after work.

Most tourists tend to stay in either the Union Square or Embarcadero/Fishermans' Wharf areas. Both these districts can get pretty busy/touristy, but if you want to see the sights then they are pretty centrally located (especially Union Square). My parents have stayed at the Marriott in Union Square, and I've also heard good things about Parc 55. You could probably walk to the Occidental from Union Square but it would be a hike from the Embarcadero.

Nob Hill is also pretty centrally located (just north of Union Square) and is one of the highest hills in the city, with spanning views of the bay in some spots. This is where most of the high-end luxury hotels are located, like the Fairmont, the Ritz, the Intercontinental, etc.

Finally, my favorite neighborhood in the city is the Marina/Cow Hollow district (where I live). We've had family stay at the Cow Hollow Motor Inn and Suites, as well as the Hotel Del Sol. Both places are near Lombard Street, which can be noisy, but if you can get a room off of Lombard the location is excellent and the area is less "touristy" and more "San Francisco". Again, the Marina is a couple miles from the Financial District (and Occidental) but it's an easy Taxi or Bus to get there.

Hope this helps!
[Reply]
Mutombo 10:20 AM 04-05-2011
Sounds like you had a great time Dukeuni. Glad you made it to Cigar Bar, it's a great place!
[Reply]
Dukeuni 01:33 AM 04-06-2011
I went out to a Casa Belocosa to meet up with some of the Bay Area Bothers of the Leaf tonight- Amos (toothpickdude), Bob (Bobarian), Steve (Ratters), and Travis (South Shield).

Casa Belocosa was hosting a 601 Cigar event with Erik Epinosa.

I was gifted some great cigars by the Asylum members there, including several great Camacho and a Tat Anarchy. One of the best gifts of course was the 601 **** that one of the employees gave me after she won it during a drawing. Lets just say that the eyes of the other BOTL never left Jax when she was in a room ;-)

Again, a GREAT time, and thank you guys so much for letting me know about the event and for inviting me!

On a side note. I took the BART and public transportation all the way from Fisherman's Wharf to Walnut Creek, and back. When I got back to my hotel at around midnight (Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf)- who did I see pull up? None other then Erik Epinosa and the regional sales manager Tim Wong. Tim only lives a few block away, and Erik has been staying at the hotel the last several days. We both had some laughs over that.
[Reply]
Adriftpanda 11:02 AM 04-06-2011
Sounds like a good time, too bad I couldn't make it. Glad the guys treated you well.

Tim is a buddy of mine, good guy.
[Reply]
mariogolbee 11:05 AM 04-06-2011
I went out to a Casa Belocosa to meet up with some of the Bay Area Bothers of the Leaf tonight- Amos (toothpickdude), Bob (Bobarian), Steve (Ratters), and Travis (South Shield).

Casa Belocosa was hosting a 601 Cigar event with Erik Epinosa.

I was gifted some great cigars by the Asylum members there, including several great Camacho and a Tat Anarchy. One of the best gifts of course was the 601 **** that one of the employees gave me after she won it during a drawing. Lets just say that the eyes of the other BOTL never left Jax when she was in a room ;-)

Again, a GREAT time, and thank you guys so much for letting me know about the event and for inviting me!

On a side note. I took the BART and public transportation all the way from Fisherman's Wharf to Walnut Creek, and back. When I got back to my hotel at around midnight (Holiday Inn Fisherman's Wharf)- who did I see pull up? None other then Erik Epinosa and the regional sales manager Tim Wong. Tim only lives a few block away, and Erik has been staying at the hotel the last several days. We both had some laughs over that.
Glad you had a good time and got to meet my girl, Jax. :-) I never thought about that. I should try taking the BART to Casa Belicoso some time. Not a bad idea at all.
[Reply]
Dukeuni 11:18 AM 04-06-2011
Not sure why it says "****", it was meant to say "shirt"
[Reply]
mariogolbee 11:20 AM 04-06-2011
Not sure why it says "****", it was meant to say "shirt"
Perhaps you left out the "r" and it got filtered? Does that even happen? :-) How funny!
[Reply]
Page 2 of 2
< 12
Up