Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>No More European Chocolate?
bonjing 08:42 PM 01-25-2015
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/01/24..._r=0&referrer=

Does this mean we will no longer be able to get the rich and creamy chocolates that come from over seas? :-) Or will places like cost plus and small European shops still be able to import it?

Flake
Hippo
Cadbury dairy milk
Aero
[Reply]
AdamJoshua 08:52 PM 01-25-2015
They are fixing the market, I smell conspiracy! There's always Canada, where I was introduced to Aero and C. Dairy Milk along with a couple other treats.
[Reply]
Subvet642 09:06 PM 01-25-2015
I dunno man, I'm more of a Hersey's kind of guy. It's the first taste of chocolate I ever had and it's still what I think of when I think of chocolate. I've heard that our chocolate is made with a completely different procedure, hence the difference in taste.
[Reply]
The Poet 10:53 PM 01-25-2015
Awww, fudge!
[Reply]
hotreds 06:25 AM 01-26-2015
These still seem to be available on Amazon......
[Reply]
dave 08:33 AM 01-26-2015
There was an interesting story on the radio (NPR, I think) last week about growers of 'higher end' cacao. Unless chocolate aficionados are prepared to pay a premium for the good stuff, the markets (and suppliers) are going to adjust to the lowest common denominator. If I remember to, I'll find the story later. It seemed to have some parallels to other markets, even cigars. Fortunately, we aren't limited to General Cigars yet.
[Reply]
rr_coyote 06:39 PM 01-31-2015
I did read today, that people who have never had Hersheys chocolate kind of describe it has being somewhat vomit-tasting or smelling.. they use butyric acid somewhere in the process of making it.

I think it's tasty though. :-)
[Reply]
PCaponi 02:33 AM 02-01-2015
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
I dunno man, I'm more of a Hersey's kind of guy. It's the first taste of chocolate I ever had and it's still what I think of when I think of chocolate. I've heard that our chocolate is made with a completely different procedure, hence the difference in taste.
Same here. When I went through the State Police academy it was located in Hershey, PA. Every morning when we lined up for the morning run you could smell the factory. We would actually change up the courses and sometimes run right past the front doors. What a smell!:-)
[Reply]
Subvet642 02:49 AM 02-01-2015
Originally Posted by rr_coyote:
I did read today, that people who have never had Hersheys chocolate kind of describe it has being somewhat vomit-tasting or smelling.. they use butyric acid somewhere in the process of making it.

I think it's tasty though. :-)
I think other (European) chocolate is flat and featureless. It's a one note profile. Toblerone is decent, but it's not Hersey's.
[Reply]
Don Fernando 04:00 AM 02-01-2015
Darren, you never had top quality European chocolate then. In my book its way better than Hershey, I tried it stateside and didn't care for it at all.

As for Bonjing:

you ask 'no more European chocolate' and you come up with a link to a boycot of Brittish chocolate. Here's a little something to sink in:

This is a map of Europe:

and here's a map of the UK

Do you see the difference? The UK is only a small part of Europe and the best European chocolate comes from Belgium and Switzerland anyway.

You can compare it to a boycot on corn from, let me say, Nebraska and then opening a topic "no more American corn?"

forget about the English chocolate, get some great Swiss, Belgian of even Dutch chocolate.
[Reply]
Subvet642 04:19 AM 02-01-2015
Ferdie, I've had Swiss, Belgian and German chocolate and I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with it, it's just simply that Hersey's has imprinted on me because it was my first taste of chocolate and is, therefore, what my brain recognizes as chocolate. They also supplied chocolate to almost all of America's candy industry so almost all American chocolate tasted the same. It's all wrapped up in fond memories of home, family and youth. It's totally subjective. Hell, I've met people who don't like chocolate at all.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 01:50 PM 02-01-2015
Taste is subjective, I prefer European chocolate and Hershey was my first taste.
must be my billy goat palate .
[Reply]
bonjing 04:39 PM 02-01-2015
Understand the clarification Ferdinand and apologies for lumping all y'all together.

I have tried Swiss, Belgian but not Dutch. It's just Hershey's UK offerings are a lot easier to come across around here.

I do miss Kinder eggs though just for the toys.
[Reply]
Subvet642 10:11 PM 02-01-2015
Originally Posted by Genetic Defect:
Taste is subjective, I prefer European chocolate and Hershey was my first taste.
must be my billy goat palate .
I grew up in the Seventies, European chocolate just wasn't seen where I was.
[Reply]
Genetic Defect 10:42 PM 02-01-2015
Originally Posted by Subvet642:
I grew up in the Seventies, European chocolate just wasn't seen where I was.
I still eat Hershey :-) but I tend to like the darker chocolates like special dark etc.
[Reply]
mosesbotbol 06:24 AM 02-02-2015
British chocolate will be imported to USA, just from someone else. I can't imagine not being able to buy an English Kit Kat in my neighborhood. The Irish locals will riot and can include me!
[Reply]
Up