Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Virginia Beach
Dave128 10:31 AM 08-24-2012
Anybody have any suggestions on places to eat or places to see? Thinking of heading to Williamsburg a couple days as well. Thanks in advance.
[Reply]
kelmac07 10:42 AM 08-24-2012
Dave...you know if you come in my neck of the woods...we gotta get together to share a few sticks. :-)
[Reply]
ninjavanish 11:28 AM 08-24-2012
VB has plenty of decent places to eat and more than enough really great places. Depends on what you're looking to spend per person, what types of food you're thinking about. Also, how far from the Ocean Front you're willing to venture (because VB is a REALLY big town)

Some of my personal favorites and staples are Primo Pizza, Burton's Grill, The Yardhouse, 58 Deli, Whitner's BBQ, Pasta e Pani.

IF you're looking for some local dive bars, pretty much any place along Shore Drive will take care of that. Personally prefer a place called Dockside or Bubba's. Decent fried seafoods and raw oysters... plenty of cold beers and sometimes live music out on the pier.

For high(er) end seafood, a place called "1 Fish, 2 Fish" has great atmosphere and is in a building overlooking a private marina... It's not outrageously expensive, but it's probably going to run you $40-50 per person without drink or desserts. I've eaten there a couple of times though and been thoroughly impressed and didn't think twice about the bill when it was time to pay. Always felt like the value was there.

Anyway, I've lived here for a couple of years now and I'm a critical foodie. If it's not good food, I'll tell you. Or at least I'll be honest enough to let you know what to expect. See, I'm not against a hole in the wall joint or a greasy spoon on occasion, but I'm not going to tell you it's the best in the world if it's not! Shoot me a PM if you want some more details about some of these places, several of them have actually been featured in shows on the Food Network. (ie. Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives)
[Reply]
688sonarmen 12:04 PM 08-24-2012
+2 on Bubbas, great food there!
[Reply]
Dave128 01:41 PM 08-24-2012
Thanks. Some really great ideas. We like moire of teh casual scene, but I'm sure we'll try to hit a upper end place at least once along teh way. I've seen that there are a couple seafood buffets. Are they worth it?
[Reply]
ninjavanish 02:24 PM 08-24-2012
Originally Posted by Dave128:
Thanks. Some really great ideas. We like moire of teh casual scene, but I'm sure we'll try to hit a upper end place at least once along teh way. I've seen that there are a couple seafood buffets. Are they worth it?
Captain George's I'm sure made this list... however I've never tried it. I will say this though... everytime I drive past it... It's freaking packed. Gotta means something.
[Reply]
kelmac07 02:46 PM 08-24-2012
Captain Goerge's is on point. :-) :-) :-) Kellie and I love it. $ 32.95 buffet, all you can eat...and we sit in there for hours. Great variety.
[Reply]
Dave128 06:58 PM 08-24-2012
My wife said that Captain George's was one she was looking at. Definitely going to have to try it now!
[Reply]
hotreds 07:10 PM 08-24-2012
When are you going?
[Reply]
Eleven 07:16 PM 08-24-2012
This one time me and the wife were going to VB for a few days, we got there, looked around, and proceeded to turn left and head up the coast. We ended up in Chincoteague. Best trip to Virginia Beach we ever had :-)

Sorry that didn't help you much, unless you have an extra couple of hours and want to drive across the bridge/tunnel and maybe see some ponies!
[Reply]
Mentallyrechartd 12:46 AM 08-26-2012
This is a great time of year to go. Lots of live music, decent weather(sans todays monsoon!). Two places I would thoroughly recommend are Harpoon Larry's and Baja Cantina. The Surfrider is great as well. My wife and I did homeless ministry out there for a few years and have lived close our whole lives. Definitely see Williamsburg/Jamestown/Yorktown if you can. Being a local, I take it for granted, but there is a ton of amazing history here...
[Reply]
Ed M 12:40 PM 08-26-2012
My wife said that Captain George's was one she was looking at. Definitely going to have to try it now!
Capt. Georges has the best seafood buffet I've ever had. It's HUGE!
[Reply]
Dave128 07:32 PM 08-29-2012
Holy crap was Whitner's BBQ awesome! Best BBQ I think I've ever had.
[Reply]
ninjavanish 08:32 PM 08-29-2012
It's pretty darn tasty!
[Reply]
kelmac07 05:30 AM 08-30-2012
Best in the area. Richmond has a place even better, Buz & Ned's...:-) :-) :-) :-)
[Reply]
Dave128 06:39 AM 08-30-2012
Whitner's was better than anything my neck of the woods could ever dream up.
[Reply]
ninjavanish 07:14 AM 08-30-2012
Whitner's was better than anything my neck of the woods could ever dream up.
What did you end up getting?

I like the Burnt Ends Sandwich.
[Reply]
Dave128 04:32 PM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by ninjavanish:
What did you end up getting?

I like the Burnt Ends Sandwich.
Got a trio - burnt ends, pulled pork and ribs. My wife got briskit instead of pulled pork. It was all very yummy!
[Reply]
Up