Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum Mobile
General Discussion>Apple Mac Pro Purchase Info
captain53 02:10 PM 02-06-2011
I am interesting in purchasing an Apple Mac Pro (my first Apple) and seems like pricing is about the same everywhere. WWW.MacMall.com offers a small discount but that is about as good as I have found.

I know folks on here are about the best discount sources on earth so figure if there is one somewhere this is the place to find it!

Thanks for any suggestions.
[Reply]
AD720 02:27 PM 02-06-2011
With a new mac the price is the price basically, they control the advertised pricing. Check the Apple store online for refurbs and clearance deals.They offer student discounts, that's about it.

With a preconfigured system, from somewhere like Macmall, you can save a couple bucks. Literally a couple. But don't expect to pay a dime less than Apple's price for any kind of built to order system.
[Reply]
tsolomon 02:32 PM 02-06-2011
I got $100 off the Mac Pro using the governement employee discount that Apple offers. :-)
[Reply]
Sauer Grapes 05:33 PM 02-06-2011
Microcenter runs promotions from time to time. Unfortunately, you just missed $200 off the whole month of January.
[Reply]
captain53 06:58 PM 02-06-2011
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
Microcenter runs promotions from time to time. Unfortunately, you just missed $200 off the whole month of January.
My Luck!
[Reply]
sikk50 07:07 PM 02-06-2011
When I bought my Mac book pro the list price was $1300, I used the student discount and paid $1297 after tax (Ca sales tax). Also get the iPod touch to turn around and sell to recover some of the funds
[Reply]
Pilon 07:43 PM 02-06-2011
A hardware upgrade might be coming around April, I would hold off until then if you can. I am in the market for a Mac Pro 13 myself and would like to see if the quad core will be put in this summer although i know Intel had some issues with their chips and the abaility to cool the chip in the smaller chassis is a question also.
[Reply]
JPGore 07:46 PM 02-06-2011
I got the Macbook Pro 17" loaded to the max $200 off from Apple store using an educational discount. Say youre a student at your local college when you order.
[Reply]
Flynnster 08:01 PM 02-06-2011
Check out ebay, I know some of my friends found them for a few hundred less, new.

Some of the savings came when the Ebay computers had programs already installed that other places required an up-charge for.

On a side note, I love my macbook pro, not a hiccup yet and I've had it since summer.
[Reply]
nayslayer 08:11 PM 02-06-2011
remember to pay for the applecare program. The only place where you can get them repaired is at the apple store, with a few exceptions.
[Reply]
Ratters 10:15 PM 02-06-2011
Check www.amazon.com. They often have great prices, nice return policy, most likely no sales tax, and cheap shipping.
[Reply]
cmitch 08:05 AM 02-07-2011
Are you buying a 'Mac Pro' or a Mac Book Pro'?

A Mac pro is a tower with much grande memory and quad core system. Unless you're into video editing, I'd spring for a high end iMac 27".

As far as Mac Books go, I can't offer a lot of advice since I don't buy those. Every mac I've bought has been a desktop.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 08:25 AM 02-07-2011
macmall, microcenter, amazon or student discount with apple are your best bets. The only advantage of ordering through apple is if you want to configure the macbook pro to your specs. Otherwise if you time it right you can save more through macmall, microcenter or amazon.
[Reply]
Barrythevic 02:16 PM 02-07-2011
The last two Macs I have, I bought at B&H Photo in New York.

The last Mac that I bought in Dec 09, is the Mac Mini. B&H was one of only 3 outlets that had the model I wanted. They were hands down the lowest price that I was able to find. Free shipping.

Good Luck, you will love your Mac!
[Reply]
hammondc 02:18 PM 02-07-2011
Get applecare. I used mine and it was worth every single penny. Especially when the logic board went out with about 2 years 4 months after buying it.
[Reply]
captain53 06:33 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by cmitch:
Are you buying a 'Mac Pro' or a Mac Book Pro'?

A Mac pro is a tower with much grande memory and quad core system. Unless you're into video editing, I'd spring for a high end iMac 27".

As far as Mac Books go, I can't offer a lot of advice since I don't buy those. Every mac I've bought has been a desktop.
Sorry did not realize I left the Book off of my Title but did. So it should Read Mac Book Pro. Thanks for noticing.

Thanks to everyone for the good tips.
[Reply]
chenvt 06:35 PM 02-07-2011
Originally Posted by Sauer Grapes:
It'll be back and I would wait for it..

I basically got a 2.4 Ghz Macbook Pro 13.3 for $899 on a refurb.. it literally was bought and returned the next day.. Still got the full warranty, etc because it was never registered.
[Reply]
dunng 07:55 AM 02-09-2011
Buy refurbs direct from Apple's site... I've ordered 10+ without issue. :-)
[Reply]
macpappy 03:37 PM 02-11-2011
The refurbs from Apple are good buys and dependable. Apple takes them back, replaces any problem components, then sells them at a discount. Sometimes the original problems aren't that significant even. I bought a new Imac in September and there was a problem with the memory they installed. Took it back to an Apple retail store and instead of just replacing the chips, they swapped it out for a new one.
[Reply]
GreekGodX 06:28 AM 02-23-2011
New Macbook Pro's should be coming out very soon. Hoping you waited unless you don't really care for the update..
[Reply]
Up